• Register
  • Help

Topic: feeling bold with a new comp...

feeling bold with a new comp...

was in a Harry Potter kind of a mood (and don\'t for a second think I\'m confusing myself with a John Williams [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) and came up with this...

Re: feeling bold with a new comp...

Not really liking the strings all that much, and you have an \'oboe\'??? from :05 to :30 that clutters the melodies too much I think. After :30 is where I thought it got MUCH better. What sample sets are you using?

hey Devon,
    String wise, GOS lite and AO are both layered somewhat equally in there. The \"oboe?? clutter\" is AO\'s oboe and flute bantering back and forth. Same with bassoon. Horns are of course thanks to Maarten. Did you not like the strings because they are a bit sharp? For that one, I was trying to get a bit of bite so...
    well, at least you sorta liked the other minute or so. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for chiming in.

Ooooooookay, since no one else has the guts to say something I will. I\'ll also try to be constructive as to not turn this into a bash-fest. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

First of all, I\'m pretty sure that GOS and AO can sound a LOT better than this, hardly any of this sounds realistic. It\'s very much quantized, too harsh attacks on most instruments, etc. Try to get some *realistic* expression in there, use volume control, don\'t use quantizing on anything but drums.

I can\'t say I like the \"theme\" either, it\'s more of a cacophony of sounds and textures which really do not at all connect that well. You should try building a well-developed theme before attempting to turn it into an orchestral score.

Go Back to forum