• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A Whiter Shade - String Quartet

Share/Bookmark

A Whiter Shade - String Quartet

Hi Folks,

This is my second post. I created this using Reason 2.5 with the GPO Lite Refill. It is loosely based on the Procol Harum song "A Whiter Shade of Pale". That song was loosely based on Bach's "Air on a G String" and "Sleeper's Awake". This is my first attempt at a small ensemble piece. Thanks for listening!
    John Dickason.

Re: A Whiter Shade - String Quartet

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=751039

Sorry Guys. See the link above. Thanks.
    John Dickason.

Hi John,

Love the sound and the harmonies and rhythms with this - I just found I wished for the the lead-in to have more legato - more connection between the notes. This is more evident in the viola (or is it a cello playing high?), but that too could have done with a bit as well.

Still, it is a wonderful piece and your interpretation has lots of interest and is a pleasure to listen to.

Thank you for sharing.

This is a very beautiful song that I really love. It sounds very good as a string quartet, I'm surprised. I agree with Alan, it needs some variation in articulation. Using the legato feature with notes slightly overlapping creates lovely legato passages on the GPO solo strings.

I really like your interpretation of this song. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Hi, Saxmeister

I also count myself among the huge group who loves this song. Really good choice of material for this intimate string quartet version you've worked on.

There's a gently melancholic effect your rendition has that I really enjoy.

Early on when your players weren't playing in a Legato style when it perhaps would have been expected, I thought this may have been your purposeful choice? You may want to experiment to see how it would sound with the Legato as the others here have suggested, because it is the more expected choice - but you wouldn't be able to tell which you prefer until you try it.

I think the impact of your version would perhaps have been greater at a shorter length, since it's repetitious with little variation, but then again, the main theme is difficult to grow tired of.

Thanks for this!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Some of the harmonic structure in the bass when it doubles in octaves with the violin is probably ineffective. I think contrary motion would be a better choice of harmonics between two very divided instruments. Very drab bass part if I may add. It reminds me of when I used to play Pachelbel's Canon in D Major. I really really only say this with the best of intentions to get you to give more interesting lines to the bass, me being a tubist. And try to avoid parallell octaves and fifths in the cello bass and violin harmonies. You did well with counterpoint though with the viola solo and the violins. Cello's a little quiet.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Yes, more legato.

I like your rendition of this great old tune.

It was also done by Johnny Rivers on his Realization album which I had.

I'd forgotten about that song.

Thanks for posting this and bringing back old memories.

Phil

Thanks to everyone who have posted here. I understand all of your criticisms and am a complete novice with classical composition. I sense the fairly low enthusiasm level on this one. Oh well... Things should improve in future. I just now discovered that there is a way to get a more legato sound out of the nnxt samplers in Reason, which I will try. I'll probably also experiment with adding more variation in the second verse. This is why I post here; to learn how to improve.
    John Dickason.

I like this john. It is always nice to adaptations of known songs. Rbowser and a few others did this with beatles songs. This is nice to listen to.
    -Jay

Thanks Jay for the kind words. As a sax player, I have a lot to learn about harmony. Though tuba's criticisms were blunt, he's right on target and I thought the same of the piece when I listened to it. I'll see what I can do about increasing the variation in the piece. Randy, thanks for your kind way of making suggestions. You'd be a good diplomat. Next time I post this it should sound quite different.
    John Dickason.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast