• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My First Try At Composing

My First Try At Composing

Hi All,

I'm new to composing and to this forum. I consider my self a novice, having had only three years of junior high school band (alto/tenor sax), and a few years of rock-n-roll bass guitar (and all of that was more than 20 years ago!). Lately, though, I've found that I have a lot of music running through my head and an urgent desire to write it all down.

I posted my first piece (a short woodwind trio) on SoundClick at

I couldn't find a way to upload the score here (in case anyone prefers to read along as they listen), but you can get it from another forum on which I have posted it if you would like to see it:

I'm interested in what some more experienced composers have to say about it. Any advice/encouragement for improving it?

Thanks in advance!
    Best Regards,

Re: My First Try At Composing

Welcome to this listening room. I liked your first post very much. I particularly liked the melodic and rhythmic motifs. They are very effective and captivating. Your recording also sounds very nice and clear. The material you presented in this piece could easily be developed. Might I suggest perhaps some modulation away from the original key. This would make also the harmony more interesting.

Great job on a delightful little piece . Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Good flute -clarinet antiphony. I feel like the bassoon is given a really boring part. It doesn't really match the skill tht is brought forth with the flute-clarinet. It's as if you don't trust the bassoon to play harder lines. Otherwise the overall aspect of it is great.
    Yours Truly,
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:

Hello Ernie "Lunker"

Welcome indeed to The Listening Room!

It's great that you've stepped right up to show us what you're doing.

I enjoy the theme you're working with in this. I think Louis gave you a good idea to move away from the first key so you can explore some developments.

You may want to experiment with how high your reverb send settings are. It sounds fine but rather too distant for my ears. It's worth experimenting with anyway.

Your background many moons ago playing rock/pop reminds me rather of myself, and I feel that influence is coming through in this piece, lending it a very enjoyable bouyancy. Isn't it fun working with orchestral instrumental sounds? Yeah!

Here's a very good site for posting things like scores, music files etc - http://www.box.net - many of us here use that, and it works very well. Free unless you start wanting bigger files and more space.

There's much to explore, and I love your enthusiastic beginning. Thanks for posting here!

Randy B.

This is great for a first try. You can easily feel yourself being in a field of wild flowers. Where are the bees? As randy said, being a little closer might help some.

Hi Ernie,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first piece!

I think this is a very pretty tapestry you have created here and would serve well as a foundation on which you can further build. I tend to agree with the idea of a key signature change, but beyond that, I think there are some opportunities with this to layer on some quite different themes over the top, ones that use different rhythms to add texture and depth.

The piece is indeed sunny and nice, keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

One more thing: I agree with other comments that there is too much reverb on this - it loses some of the potential intimacy and clarity.

Wow, thank you all for the generous and constructive feedback.

About the reverb: LOL -- I'm still finding my way around Finale, and I didn't realize that the dry signal was turned all the way down! I posted an updated version of the piece that I think sounds better. Let me know if it is still too wet. I am not a very good studio engineer yet.

I think the bassoon comment is right on target. This piece grew out of an acoustic guitar piece I've had around for 10+ years. Most of the flute and some of the clarinet comes from that piece. The bassoon was added last, and without as much thought as the other two parts. I am very pleasantly suprprised to read that you think the flute-clarinet antiphony is nice.

Originally, this was going to be the entire piece, followed by two other movements. However, your comments have started me thinking about extending this piece. Perhaps a modulation into G (which is where it ends now, rather than on the tonic), and then returning back to D eventually. Since I am only working on it as my family/work life permits, it might be a month or so before I can post an update.

Again, I really appreciate your comments. I'll do my best to return the favor.
    Best Regards,

Hey Ernie, I think this sounds good. I think that the flute is often overpowered in volume by the other 2 instruments. ( is clarinet and oboe). It is a nice post, especially for your first one.

You could end the piece on a vi chord. I love doing that sometimes, just for fun. Use your tonicization skills.

http://www.box.net/shared/f43hqdxbbu picture

http://www.box.net/shared/epqd4gfkda wav

Each secondary in the first measure ends on a tonicized 6th chord, but it does eventually resolve back to the tonic at the end. The only one that doesn't resolve to a 6th is the secondary 7th chord which I resolved to the 5th. However, acting like a dominant it still has that 6th minor quality resolution because it's 6th of the tonic. I love theory!!!!
    Yours Truly,
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:

Ellendale, ND

Material wise, this is quite excellent. May I suggest a blending of the instruments via dynamic variations.

Also, it is a good idea to decide what level of ability is required for a piece and then write equally for all players. Perhaps the bassoon could do more with the melody as well.

What a well rounded sound you have accomplished - wonderful.

There is so much nice material in this piece - please continue to develop - and allow us to share your accomplishments. You have made a really great start.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast