• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: krazy sounds with kontakt

Share/Bookmark

Question krazy sounds with kontakt

guys, am using finale2008 on an intel Mac Pro quad - 3 months old
    am doing a piece for piano and cello. from garritan, i chose the solo cello KS because i have some pizzicato in the cello part. they both show in kontakt and i have the mod wheel set at 62 for both instruments.
    when i listen to it on playback controls in finale2008, everything sounds good. when i bring the file into iTunes after it makes it compatible, the sound is tinny and not good at all. i have already done some solo piano pieces and they sound fine in iTunes.
    also - when i listen thru the finale playback controls, the pizzicato is fine. when i listen to it in iTunes, it is ARCO, not pizzicato.
    PLEASE offer me your suggestions as to what could be wrong in how i chose or set it up . i respect all o pinions and suggestions. thanks muchissimas.
    ding

Re: krazy sounds with kontakt

hermanding, it sounds like you're listening to the raw MIDI file in iTunes--? The thin, bad sound you're talking about in the first half of your post sounds like you're hearing your computer's sound card playing the MIDI file - And when you say your Pizz changes to Arco - the only way that's possible is that you're not mixing your project down, and that you have to be playing the raw MIDI file which isn't being interpreted the way you want - by Garritan instruments! You kinda need to get a mixed down .wav file to play in iTunes---Am I understanding you correctly??

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Herman,

when you you create the audio file, what function are you using?
    under File, there should be "save special", which allows you to save a Finale file as a .WAV file.

When you use GPO for anything in Finale, you must save to .WAV in Finale, and convert to any other format of compression using another application. Finale only saves audio as .WAV

Another thing is that when you save as audio from Finale using GPO, you must actually play through the entire piece... Finale saves as audio "in real time".

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    hermanding, it sounds like you're listening to the raw MIDI file in iTunes--? The thin, bad sound you're talking about in the first half of your post sounds like you're hearing your computer's sound card playing the MIDI file - And when you say your Pizz changes to Arco - the only way that's possible is that you're not mixing your project down, and that you have to be playing the raw MIDI file which isn't being interpreted the way you want - by Garritan instruments! You kinda need to get a mixed down .wav file to play in iTunes---Am I understanding you correctly??

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    The other alternative is that there might be a bug in Kontakt. I've suddenly developed a problem this week; I'm routing Cubasis MIDI tracks to Kontakt, and I'm hearing the relevant Kontakt sound, but I'm simultaneously hearing the piano from the Microsoft wavetable whatever-it-is that the tracks default to. I don't know whether it's a fault in Cubasis, or whether Kontakt has suddenly developed a MIDI-through

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    or whether Kontakt has suddenly developed a MIDI-through
    Depends:
    1) Which items are checked in Options | Audio Engine | Send MIDI to outside world?
    2) With the stand alone, 1) and which MIDI Out's are ON in Audio/MIDI setup | MIDI | Output Interface?

If the MS wavetable interference cannot be attributed to any of these possible suspects, then K2/KP2 is in the clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Depends:
    1) Which items are checked in Options | Audio Engine | Send MIDI to outside world?
    2) With the stand alone, 1) and which MIDI Out's are ON in Audio/MIDI setup | MIDI | Output Interface?

If the MS wavetable interference cannot be attributed to any of these possible suspects, then K2/KP2 is in the clear.
    I also suspect Kontakt to be innocent - it was just a thought. But now I reflect on it, it's only happening on channels 4 and upwards, which seems more likely to be a VST bug than a Kontakt one.

first ´thanks guys to all of you for answering.
    next, rbowser - it was not a .wav file. i did get a midi file which was brought into itunes and converted in real time.
    first let me ask any of you to respond who would like. here is how i have a set up of finale2008 notation at this point.
    i have one cello staff and i selected solo cello KS from gpo finale edition. and i have the steinway selected.
    because i want the two hands of the piano to have different sound dynamics, i added a second steinway so that right hand staff uses steinway 1 on channel 1, and left hand staff uses steinway 2 on channel 3. channel 3 - because
    kontakt and playback already have the solo cello KS on channel 2.
    all kontakt instruments have a mod wheel set to 62. they show right hand piano, solo cello KS, left hand piano in the order of channels 1, 2, and 3.
    guys, is there anything wrong with this up to this point? is there any other way i should set this up.
    maybe we can step through this one step at at time, with your permissions.
    thanks much for all advice. i admit i am learning
    ding

It sounds like Randy was right. Your set up sounds fine, but if you want to play your piece in itunes then you need to export a .wav file from Finale, rather than a MIDI file. The MIDI file just contains the information about which notes should be played, in which order, but not which instruments to play them on. itunes will default to playing the file on some awful General MIDI sounds.

Hello again, Ding

Thanks much for telling us more about what you're doing.

I guess I win the prize for guessing what the problem was/is - As Pingu explained very well just now, MIDI files aren't music, they are only data. They'll play any instrument or sounds that are assigned to them. So, bringing that MIDI file into iTunes on its own, it's just been defaulting to your computer's sound card - the tinky tink little set of General MIDI sounds that come on those.

Do you see?

--As far as how you're setting up your instruments in Kontact, that is a totally flexible thing--I'm not quite sure I followed your description - But the main point is, you need to make an audio recording, a .wav file with that set up - Then test it out, play that .wav file before trying to post it anywhere. Then you'll get an idea of how you're doing with setting instruments up.

Let us know how things go.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thumbs up Re: krazy sounds with kontakt

muchissimas gracias a todos - thanks so much to all of you
    - i believe the problem is solved. it is in the making of the sound file. the set up through garritan and kontakt seems OK.
    i have finale2008 on a mac quad pro intel chips. and in the software finale i can elect to save sound files as either .wav or .aiff. i did this both ways to see if both work. after saving, i used ´switch´software to convert the .wav or .aiff to .mp3 which played beautifully in iTunes WITH the pizzicato, i might add. this looks fine.
    again, without your input, i would still be wondering.

ding

Go Back to forum