• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Vibrato & The Modwheel

Share/Bookmark

Question Vibrato & The Modwheel

Hello!

I've just started using both GPO, and the Stradivari Violin 2.0. I'm totally in love with both. I particularly love how you can control the vibrato of the Stradivari Violin with the modwheel. My BIG question is, can you do the same with with GPO instruments, such as brass, or woodwinds? I'd love to know how to assign vibrato to the modwheel, if anyone could tell me.
    I use Pro Tools LE, by the way.

Thanks ever so much!
    Jen
    Last edited by Jenna; 10-02-2007 at 12:35 PM. Reason: needed to add a ? icon

Re: Vibrato & The Modwheel

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    Hello!

I've just started using both GPO, and the Stradivari Violin 2.0. I'm totally in love with both. I particularly love how you can control the vibrato of the Stradivari Violin with the modwheel. My BIG question is, can you do the same with with GPO instruments, such as brass, or woodwinds? I'd love to know how to assign vibrato to the modwheel, if anyone could tell me.
    I use Pro Tools LE, by the way.

Thanks ever so much!
    Jen
    Welcome Jen.

In GPO the mod-wheel is assigned to control the volume of the instruments. I think you have to assign the modwheel to another controller number in your Proo Tools LE, if it there is possible.... . Then you have to assign in Kontakt this controller-number to the vibrato.... .

Hope this helps.

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hi Jen! Welcome to the forum! We're a friendly bunch here.

Like Gunther says, you'll have to do some controller remapping, either on your keyboard or some reassignment once it gets to the computer. You can use MIDI-OX (PC) or MIDI Pipes (Mac) if you choose the latter route. CC#17 is the vibrato parameter for GPO solo brass and winds and it only functions on the instruments without recorded vibrato (as it uses a filter to simulate vib).

The GPO pdf manual located in your Garritan/GPO Library/Documentation folder has a plethora of other goodies and controllers that can further affect the sound.

Best,
    Reegs

Thank you, guys!
    Something tells me I have a lot of reading to do. I appreciate your help!

-Jen

Hi, Jenna

Lots to dig in to, for sure! Great to see you that you seem eager to do just that. Garritan instruments can sound So great.

As Reegs said, it's MIDI controller #17 that controls vibrato in GPO. There are some instruments with pre-recorded vibrato, but there are others that don't. There's a permanent "sticky" post which lists the instruments that respond to vibrato - I should have looked that up before responding - Look in the "sticky" posts area of the Forums, you should find that.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hello again, Jenna

Instead of just editing my post, I'm adding another reply so you'll more likely see it.

Here's the link to the "sticky" post I was talking about--it's right here on this Forum:

Take a look at that, maybe print it out--Though it's pretty logical. Programmer Tom Hopkins explains Vibrato control in GPO and lists the instruments.

It's important you understand that you were given incorrect information earlier on this thread when you were told that GPO instruments only have built in pre-recorded vibrato.

Have fun!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Cool Re: Vibrato & The Modwheel

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Jenna

Lots to dig in to, for sure! Great to see you that you seem eager to do just that. Garritan instruments can sound So great.

As Reegs said, it's MIDI controller #17 that controls vibrato in GPO. There are some instruments with pre-recorded vibrato, but there are others that don't. There's a permanent "sticky" post which lists the instruments that respond to vibrato - I should have looked that up before responding - Look in the "sticky" posts area of the Forums, you should find that.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Hello, rbowser!
    Is there a place here that describes the steps to change the function of the modwheel? I understand that it can be done in the program, or sometimes, the keyboard itself. I'd prefer to try doing it through Kontakt first. (I only use the version that came with GPO, by the way.) Keyboards are harder to nail down, I'm sure, as there are so many kinds.

Thanks, again! That link will be very helpful.
    -Jen

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the vibrato in GPO is actually recorded in the samples. THAT being said, if you have the full version of Kontakt 2, there are scripts that you can use to apply vibrato to some of the instruments that are not recorded with vibrato (Flute NV is the first that comes to mind). If you do have full K2, then you should definately be checking out some of the scripts that have been written... from the older SIPS one, to a newer one I've seen (but haven't tried yet) that seems to add a humanisation feature to K2.

Just some possiblities.

Tom
    Jen,

The strings, oboes and english horns are recorded with vibrato, all the brass and the rest of the woodwinds have programmable vibrato. The performance patches, available at the link on my signature, automate vibrato based on user settings. Currently only a french horn and bassoon are supported (most of the patches are JABB) but all the GPO strings, brass and woodwinds are comming soon.

Hi Jen - I'm just curious about one thing. If you succeed in remapping your modWheel to control vibrato in GPO, how are you planning to control volume?
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by klassical
    Hi Jen - I'm just curious about one thing. If you succeed in remapping your modWheel to control vibrato in GPO, how are you planning to control volume?
    Then she must record in two ways... . First the volume and then the vibrato... .

For me, I like to control the volume with a pedal and to control the vibrato with the modwheel... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum