• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Two Parts to a Nutcracker, Sweet!"

Share/Bookmark

"Two Parts to a Nutcracker, Sweet!"

http://www.box.net/shared/htgbfdr5j4
    "Two Parts to a Nutcracker, Sweet!"

I post this to ask for help. Everything is GJBB, entered into Finale using the Notation instruments. I have no idea why the tempo accelerates or where the static is coming from. I had to use 10 staves for the trumpets, 5 open, 5 harmons, because I can't make the KS trumpets work in Finale. The drum parts are difficult, for me anyway, to get balanced properly as well as trying to figure out a notation that is readable using the drum kits.
    Is is possible to overload the system with such a large group?
    Any positive suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

sos

It's there but you have to either download it or go through Itunes to play it. Someday I'll figure it all out and get it right the first time. AAARRRGGGHHHHG!!!!!

Re: "Two Parts to a Nutcracker, Sweet!"

Edit: The message below is now obsolete.

Mr. Steve,

I get this message when I try to play your music file:

"This folder does not have any files in it. If you think this is a mistake, please email the owner."

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

EDIT - 10/2 My message here is obsolete also - Playback file has been fixed.

Ditto Larry, Sos - Your folder is labeled but has 0 bytes. Whoops.

I'm looking forward to hearing - your post listing the technical problems has me curious.

Go there to Box and try again ---

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Super sound, Mr. Steve! You did a great job with the JABB instruments. Nice and realistic for the most part.

Old Pete Tchaikovsky would have loved your chart.

Thanks for posting.

Larry

Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Thanks Larry:
    Your firm support is always most welcomed.

I'm not sure what I consider the greatest achievement, writing the chart or finally getting it posted. It strange, none of the noise and static I hear on my outfit here is present on the posting, but those screwy tempo bursts are still there.

I have always wondered how to spell "Tchaikovsky."
    The answer is "9,W." What is the question?

sos

A very clever arrangement. I like it a lot.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

sos,

Very, very clever arrangment on this well known suite. I don't know what is causing the little hiccups in the tempo. Never seen it before in Finale.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hey, Sos - Glad you got the Box posting working.

"...It's there but you have to either download it or go through Itunes to play it..."

Well, maybe you've changed things again since writing that, but I didn't have to download it. The usual instant-play button was available, and that's how I took a listen.

REally fine charts here. Oh man, I love it to pieces. Super clever arrangement from the Nutcracker material.

"...Is is possible to overload the system with such a large group?..."

You bet it is, certainly is on my machine anyway. I use Sonar, and not notation, but on a regular basis I have to bounce tracks to audio in order to keep building large ensembles - my computer can't handle the large playback otherwise.

You said the noise that bothers you on live playback isn't in the recording - but I'm hearing what sounds like the artifacts of too much reverb. A crunching and sometimes metallic sound can happen especially with brass being processed through a large percentage of reverb.

It sounds like your entire project is being sent through a reverb at 100% wet - It's a common error, and perhaps you've done that. The intention is for reverb to be added in different percentages per group of a band, and most of those will be under 50%. You set up a reverb setting at full blast, then send just a portion of each track's signal through the reverb - Um, however that's done in Finale--Sorry, I have no experience with that program.

But what I'm saying, is that this sounds Way too wet and therefore distant, and I think that's causing some slightly ugly rasping artifacts in the sound.

Great charts though, and with my imagination, I can hear this in the much smaller and drier version that would make it Really happening.

Thanks!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

What a cool arrangement, I love it! Very well done, Mr. Steve!

One question: Whish reverb have you used?

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

You got some cool sounds out of JABB. Neat riffs and drumlines.

Ron

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast