• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stradivari 'hiss'?

Share/Bookmark

Wink Stradivari 'hiss'?

EDIT: Apparently, I need to buy an expression pedal. I'm probably hearing only pianissimo sounds--I will remedy this soon!
    Many thanks to the Garritan professional that helped me on the phone!

OLD:
    Hello!

I have been learning how to use the Stradivari Violin for the last week, and I have run into a little problem. Perhaps someone can relate? I use Pro Tools LE, and I have a great system--I know my problem isn't with these. The violin sounds wonderful, except for one thing: there is a hiss that begins and ends only when the violin is playing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the sound of the Impulse Response? And if so, can it be turned off? Or masked? My reverb barely makes a dent in the hissing. Is there an RTAS ambience plug-in I should be buying to mask it?

I'm devotedly nuts about this violin. I'd really appreciate any input!
    Thanks so much!
    -Jen
    Last edited by Jenna; 10-02-2007 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Got the answer

Re: Stradivari 'hiss'?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    Hello!

I have been learning how to use the Stradivari Violin for the last week, and I have run into a little problem. Perhaps someone can relate? I use Pro Tools LE, and I have a great system--I know my problem isn't with these. The violin sounds wonderful, except for one thing: there is a hiss that begins and ends only when the violin is playing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the sound of the Impulse Response? And if so, can it be turned off? Or masked? My reverb barely makes a dent in the hissing. Is there an RTAS ambience plug-in I should be buying to mask it?

I'm devotedly nuts about this violin. I'd really appreciate any input!
    Thanks so much!
    -Jen
    If it's the bow noise you're speaking of, then EQ the audio track. Roll off the high end and you'll cut a lot of that noise.

Re: Stradivari 'hiss'?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    EDIT: Apparently, I need to buy an expression pedal. I'm probably hearing only pianissimo sounds--I will remedy this soon!
    Good to have an expression pedal to real-time control the expression controller. But what about drawing the necessary CC in your piano roll so far? If your keyboard don't have aftertouch you have to do it with vibrato intense (or speed?) too - so I don't see a problem to do it with expression. (Maybe I've overlocked what's it all about so I beg your pardon.)

...I guess some people forget to constantly touch the two vibrato controllers (speed and intense) which means less expression. A violine player works with vibrato as with volume.

Go Back to forum