• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: On the Road Again - Minneapolis, Boston & Wisconsin

Share/Bookmark

On the Road Again - Minneapolis, Boston & Wisconsin

Hi all!

I have been traveling the past week.

Wednesday I spent the day at MakeMusic Headquarters. We met with many of the fine folks there and discussed many things. RobertP and Tom were there as well. Although Tom and I live in the same general area, I seem to see him more at far flung places.

Thursday and Friday I spoke with eight classes at Berklee. Classes included Scoring to Visuals, Advanced Computer, MIDI Apps, Orchestral Mockup and the Music Marketing. I also spoke briefly with the Film Scoring Club. The students at Berklee have a comprehensive grasp of music technology.

And I had the pleasure to meet Naoto Kubo, one of the winners of the GPO Orchestration Competition. He mentioned that the competition made it possible for him to study music at Berklee. I believe Naoto is going to do well at Berklee.

Thursday I had lunch with Gabriel, a forum member and Education Director at Boston Symphony Hall. It was great to see Gabriel again. Thursday night I had the chance to attend some student performances at the Berklee Performing Arts Center.

On Friday I attended the Board of Advisors meeting. We discussed many things about what's going on with Berklee. I had the opportunity to see the interview and admissions process. There are many more applicants than space available at Berklee. Every applicant must now audition. There are so many talented musicians from all over the world that apply. A lot of factors are considered - from technical proficiency to passion and motivation. I don't envy the job of the people who decide who is in and who is not.

Berklee is the largest contemporary music school in the world. It continues to stay on the cutting edge of music with studios, gear, hardware and software that would be the envy of any music school. The students there graduate with a great overall music education and are prepared to go out in the music world. It was great to be back at Berklee.

Friday night I met up with the Board members at Boston Symphony Hall for the Beantown Jazz Festival Concert, a premiere Jazz festival produced by Berklee. We were treated to a dinner at the reception and had a chance to meet some of the jazz musicians. The concert was incredible and was a sold-out event - although 3 1/2 hours long, it was so good that the time flew by. The lineup included Herbie Hancock, Roy Haynes, Branford Marsalis, Jon Faddis, Joe Lavano, Lizz Wright, Geri Allen, Regina Carter, Michel Camili, Toshiko Akiyoshi, and many others. Roy Haynes is 82 years old and I could not believe how he can drive those drums - better than some one-quarter his age. On Saturday I met up with Stephen Croes, Dean of Music Technology, for breakfast.

Then I had the good pleasure to have coffee with the one and only, from our forum, Reegs. It was good to get a chance to talk with Reegs - he is one cool guy.

I later met up with Markleford. We went to the Beantown Jazz Street Festival and listened to some jazz music at the various stages.

Then it was off to Wisconsin.

I spent the following morning at House on the Rock which is quite an interesting and unique place. It has one of the biggest collections of eclectic and automated musical instruments. This was pre-MIDI when emulations ran with servo-switches and vacuum hoses. Hundreds and hundreds of musical instruments. There was an automated 100 piece orchestra, brass bands, string ensembles, oriental bands, reginatrons, automated harps, pianos, the largest organ I've seen. House on the Rock is a music instrument lover's delight.

I then met briefly with giwro-jon in Madison. I happened to be driving right past the new church he is serving as musical director. It was good to see Jonathan and his family.

The afternoon was spent at Sony Audio headquarters. It was a very worthwhile and productive meeting.

Yesterday I spent all day at the headquarters of our new distributor Hal Leonard. It was great meeting many of the people there. We spoke about many things we'll be doing together, including upcoming products and promotions. I am looking forward to a successful partnership with Hal Leonard.

I missed being on the forum but I enjoyed meeting some of the members in person. The trip was a very successful, one which will help define our course for years to come. The journey has come to an end and its good to be back.

All the best across the miles,

Gary Garritan

Smile Re: On the Road Again - Minneapolis, Boston & Wisconsin

What a cool trip to some great states and Berklee, and meeting with great people, that is one heck of a good job you have. Now better get some rest, remember what happened last time.

Re: On the Road Again - Minneapolis, Boston & Wisconsin

Gary is one cool guy too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Glad you had a great trip, Gary!

Say, isn't MakeMusic in Eden Prairie? I've stayed there overnight when I fly into Minneapolis. One time at the airport after breakfast, I was doing my "business" and some old guy started giving me hand signals. Don't know what that was about. Very odd --- must be some Scandinavian sign language.

Anyway, rest up!

Ern
    Ern,

Yes MakeMusic is in Eden Prairie just outside Minneapolis. They all do the hand signals there. It's a secret society thing and they probably thought you were one of them.

Gary

Thumbs up Re: On the Road Again - Minneapolis, Boston & Wisconsin

On the Road Again
    Ya didn't take Willy with ya again?!
    Sound like fun. Have a nice trip. See you next fall.
    Styxx

---!!---

And, um, is Sleep somewhere on that itinerary?!?

Exciting news, Gary - super of you to keep us all posted.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    ---!!---

And, um, is Sleep somewhere on that itinerary?!?
    ...ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Wow, do you do this sort of road trip often? Hey Gary, I've been wanting to figure out a way to meet you and some of the folks on the forum -- it helps me to put "real people" with all the handles! I know everyone is so busy... So, where is a mostly likely venue for that? Trade shows? Is there a schedule somewhere? Do forum folks ever just have a time and place to meet? Like a reunion sort of thing? Just a thought. ???

Also, if you are every in Boston again (my original area before Colorado), check out the Computer Museum if you have time and if it is still there. It has (if I remember right) all kinds of fun, like (for kids and kids-at-heart) a giant PC you can walk through, and a computer that draws lovely foliage-type pictures, using some kind of algorithm that I imagine includes numbers or number sequences like fibonacci and phi, and others probably found in nature. And there was, when I was there, a computer that generated music - and pretty good, too. All this may have changed -- it was a long time ago, but if it is there, I'll bet it's still really interesting!

Oops! Just checked and sadly it is closed.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Computer_Museum

But part of its collection went to the Museum of Science in Boston. A short Wiki on the computer museum below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum_...puting_section

And the science museum says much of the computer stuff went to Silicon Valley: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_History_Museum

Well, I didn't mean to take such a complicated virtual trip so early in the morning!

Time for more coffee

Karen

Karen,

One of the best places to meet Gary and many other forum members is at the winter NAMM in Anaheim, CA. Next show is January 17th-20th, 2008.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    Karen,

One of the best places to meet Gary and many other forum members is at the winter NAMM in Anaheim, CA. Next show is January 17th-20th, 2008.

Jim
    Thanks, Jim! I feel an urge to travel coming on

Go Back to forum