• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Another wee tune

Another wee tune

Don't know how to describe this one but I was kinda aiming a for a movie soundtrack feel so I called it At the The Movies.

Ellendale, ND

Re: Another wee tune

I very much enjoyed the harmonically lowered tones in the melodic line. Very interesting to the ear. It seems, on my equipment, that the upper strings may be a bit hushed relative to the rest of the score, but the theatrical effect is nicely done.

Hi, Tony

It's been a long time since you've posted music, so this is a treat.

HUmmmm, LOts of stuff going on in this, and with some really interesting, unexpected mood shifts. The opening had me wondering how it was going to be a cinema-like piece, then as it developed, I got more of that movie-vibe.

It's feeling, what-?--trying to find the word, -disjointed maybe? Not necessarily in a negative sense, I guess I mean there's a non-continuity happening, where things are never gelling, but then maybe they're not supposed to - I thought a theme would be rested on for awhile, but it kept shifting before I could get a handle on what was going on. Like I said, a Lot of stuff going on!---INNNnnnnteresting!

Randy B.

Yes. I see it. Montana/Wyoming. Views of snow capped mountains. Salmon swiming upstream and leaping the beautiful rapids. A brown bear fishing on the edge of the stream. Yes! Yes, Tom I see it. Splendid. Thank for the
    Samantha Penigar

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Some music calls out for the scene to be described. Everytime I thought I saw something, it was gone. I guess whta I am saying is that this is very disjointed for me. I am all for train of thought ideas, but I can't seem to solidify one before the next one starts. I'm sure it can go with something, since it is good music. Hope that helps

I agree with rolifer, but in the sence that it did bounce around a lot for the imagination. I do that too sometimes. Probably more defined ideas to grab the listener. Overall great harmonic structure. A few flub notes. I'd go back and listen again and try to catch them. Maybe intentional, or missed chordal tones.
    Yours Truly,
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:

Thanks all for the comments, I really appreciate it. The tune wasn't really meant to go anywhere just experimenting and trying to get a 'big' sound. I do all this stuff by ear so I guess rules get broken and it never turns out the way I hear the music in my head. Time to learn some theory I think...

A lot of good ideas in this, Tony -- and therein one finds
    the goat's horns ripping your trousers. (I wonder what that
    means.) Ahem. Where was I. Ah, yes -- a lot of good
    ideas; and as we all know, too many good ideas always cause

Tony, what I hear in this [do recall I'm a programmer myself]
    is the extremely tight, say-it-concisely thinking of a coder.
    I know, because I do it myself in writing; and have to very
    deliberately catch myself up on it.

Were it me, I think what I'd attempt with this piece is the
    introduction of much more space, a more leisurely pacing,
    a more relaxed and elaborative (oh, my, yes, even some
    of that dreaded recursion!) approach... take the time to
    dwell on each element and explore it more, give the listener
    a chance to consider and savor each thought.

Tony, I hear a lot of potential in your writing. But at least
    for my ear, you're taking us down the road a little too
    quickly to fully appreciate the otherwise very evident
    qualities of your thinking.

All my best,

Excellent comment David, you really nailed it. In some ways I'm trying to run before I can walk and to be honest I'm really struggling to get what I hear down on paper or score writer. My lack of musical training is evident and what sounds good to me has glaring deficiencies to others. I can live with that.

Learning to hear your own work objectively is probably
    one of the hardest things to do, Tony. I cannot say that
    I have ever succeeded at that, myself!

My best,

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast