• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: A newbie's first CC#1 lesson: Leave plenty of room at the top

Share/Bookmark

A newbie's first CC#1 lesson: Leave plenty of room at the top

So I'm working on the score to Beethoven's 6th, first movement, as my practice piece for learning all about how to use GPO. I had the strings playing lush and beautiful, mostly p and pp. Then at measure 28 the oboe speaks up, taking the theme, and even playing at pp, it stands clear and bright above the whisper-quiet background of strings. Or that's what was supposed to happen.

What really happened was that the oboe was inaudible above the raucous din of those "whisper-quiet" ppp strings! Coming from a hardware synth where every instrument played with equal strength, I never really learned the delicate art of balancing the instruments against each other. It turns out that I had to go back and re-do all my string CC1 controller values to 1/4 of their original amount. My 64's became 16's and my 100's became 25's.

Once that was done I played it again, and there it was, that sweet oboe, playing pp, yet standing clear and bright over the ppp strings! What an exciting moment that was!

The lessons I learned:

1) You don't belong using CC1 values of 100 in pp passages!
    2) To get whisper-quiet strings DO NOT do so by turning down the volume knob on your amplifier!
    3) To make an instrument stand out above the rest, don't crank it up to 127, turn down the CC1's on the others.
    4) Start by applying CC1 expression to the weakest instruments first and balance the string section against the result, not vice-versa.
    5) Leave plenty of room at the top. If your mf passage is already at CC1=127 you have no where to go when you hit that fff passage.

I'm sure that's all old news to you long-time experts, but I think it's good advice anyway.

All in all, I am simply amazed at the lifelike performance I'm getting from GPO using Noteworthy notation software. It's turning out far better than I had imagined. Another week or so and I will be ready to share the first movement of Beethoven's wonderful 6th symphony.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Re: A newbie's first CC#1 lesson: Leave plenty of room at the top

Great that you are finally experiencing the magic of GPO Gary! It looks like you will soon be a true vet on this forum.

God Bless,

Jeremy

Hi Gary!
    Thanks for the great explanation! I know that this will be helpful to many of us that are less experienced with GPO.
    Take Care,
    Steph

NICE post, Gary - I really enjoyed feeling your excitement and taking a good gander at how Perfectly you figured out "a newbie's first cc#1 lesson."

Everything you said was perfecto right on down the line.

And I know exactly what you mean about making the adjustment from hardward synths - It doesn't seem like it will be that big of an adjustment to make, but it really is, because working with GPO has So much more subtlety to it.

Looking forward to hearing your Beethoven practice piece!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

This is indeed excellent advice for new users of GPO. Thank you for taking the time to publish your experiences as a new user to others here on the forum. I'm sure it will be very helpful, since a lot of people are simply cautious to ask very basic, but important, questions like this.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Gary, I think posting your experiences as you go, the way you are doing is absolutely invaluable. So many little things that people take for granted!

I have been planning to do a Beethoven 6th first movement as a lesson myself - I have just ordered Abbado's recordings of the nine symphonies and have the sheet music printed. I know this piece better than probably any other. I will be looking forward to hearing your production with great interest!

Alas I am bereft of time still recovering from a year of job hunting and having to put every moment into income generation while the financial sun shines. (I am in software development / IT consulting)

Gary, I too am coming from hardware synths. Advice and reports of experiences like yours are invaluable to me. Thank you for taking the time to post your discoveries - they are helping me quite a bit!

All the best,
    Reber Clark
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I'm supposed to be retired, but my former boss has talked me into working 3 days a week till the end of the year so I don't have quite as much GPO time as I'd like just yet. Progress report: I'm through measure 195 with only about 318 measures to go!

One big difference between GPO and my former hardware synth is that with the hardware synth you could do just about anything and it sounded OK, but with GPO there's a lot more you can do wrong. The flip side of that is that when you do it right is sounds WAAAAY better than just "OK".

I picked the 6th because I'm intimately familiar with the score having done a very detailed MIDI rendition with loads of hand edited expression controllers about 5 years ago or so. Plus, it's my favorite Beethoven piece.

I also posted some notes on using Noteworthy composer that might apply to other notation software, but I'm not sure. Those notes are at THIS POST

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Thumbs up Re: A newbie's first CC#1 lesson: Leave plenty of room at the top

Yeah but not old news to me and probably many others. I'm copying this as a text and saving to my desktop. Thanks Gary!!

David

Gary...

Keep it up...this is valuable and 100% in the spirit of these forums!
    Wish I would have seen something like this when I started. Unlike you, however, I was too lazy to post it when I eventually sorted it out. So props to you!!

Now if I could only get some of the people I work with live to cut their CC1 levels by 75%...

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Go Back to forum