• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Fantasia

Hey everyone,

I posted this a while back but soon realised that the file was corrupted, so I am re-posting it now. It is a fantasia on "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," and is sort-of my take on the theme along with my own stuff thrown in. Anyway, I hope you like it!

Oh and by the way, crank up the volume...for some reason it recorded at a very low volume and the beginning especially is hard to hear.

http://www.box.net/shared/9rq5hoby1l - Fantasia on "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"

Re: Fantasia

Hi Ken,

Well we all missed out on this!

This is very tender, very lovely. Well done!

I am sure there will be lots of comments on how to improve the sound levels. You certainly provided great dynamics with this - just when I thought you had reached your peak, in came the brass and sent a shiver down my spine.

Really nice job and thanks for reposting.

This is very nice. My favorite part is when the brass enters. The timing is perfect and it sounds beautiful. Well done!

~ Lydia

Hi, Ken,

This is really enchanting! Well written, well orchestrated. Very enjoyable to hear.
    About the volume, I suggest that the beginning be on about the same level as the end.

Hello, Ken "tptsareamazing"

It's really good to see you back with more music for us to hear. I remember very well how about a month ago you posted a sampling of some short bits that left us all wanting more.

I really admire your "Fantasia" on "Over The Rainbow." Perhaps a reference to "Rainbow" would be good in the title?

This piece builds so nicely. The more sedate first half had me ready for the music to blossom, and I wasn't disappointed when it finally did.

I especially like the way you abbreviated the melody in the latter half, so that there was a new take on the original material.

Hummm, now as for the extremely low volume - You didn't tell us what software you're using, but I'm assuming it must be a notation program. You say, "...for some reason it recorded at a very low volume..." and that's something that would be impossible to not detect ahead of time in a DAW, since during audio mixing, one hears over and over exactly what the sound will be like in the final 2-track master.

Settings must be incorrect somewhere in your mix down path - Investigation is in order. Perhaps a Finale user will be able to give you some more precise instruction on that.

Beautiful - Thank you very much!

Randy B.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the nice comments. Actually, the title of the entire piece is "Fantasia on 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow.'" And, yes, I did use Finale to render it. I think part of the problem had to do with my computer and the base volume levels. I also made the dynamics very soft at the beginning of the song. I am condidering re-rendering it sometime soon, especially because the celeste parts didn't come out as much as I wanted at the end.

Well, anyway, thanks again!!

A fine composition, orchestrating and sound!

Ken, I enjoyed this very much!

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

You didn't mention what version of Finale you're using; but
    I'm assuming it's one of the latter ones.

In which case...

Check the Mixer, and be sure you have the individual instrument
    levels adequately raised. Also on the Mixer, check the master
    volume level.

From there, check Ambience if you're using it. In general, you
    want Dry at 0db; and Wet anywhere from 2.5-4.5 db down or so.

Wonderful job on this arrangement, Ken -- especially that huge,
    cinematic tail section!

My best,

Excellent orchestration of one of the most beautiful songs of all time--would love to hear again once all volume issues are resolved. Only slight criticism I have is I'd love for it to be just a hair faster--mainly first part. Seems to drag ever-so-slightly. Nevertheless--wonderful work. Would love to see this on a program with R.V William's 'Greensleeves'--an American counterpart of sorts. Like the harmonic change at the end--don't know the song well enough to know if that's you or the song.

One other idea--and this may sound ultra-cheesy--wonder if you could get the rights to Wizard of Oz and add her singing to the dramatic part. Remember they sampled in Nat King Cole several years ago. Then again...maybe that's a bad idea.

Hi Ken,

If you're using Kontakt Player 2 from Finale (not sure if this applies to the original Kontakt Player also, since I've never used it), you can increase the level of the outputs (st. 1, st.2, etc.). Those do not appear to respond to any MIDI controllers, and if you leave them at the default level, they're kind of low.

Also for Kontakt 2, you can adjust the amount of response that changing the MIDI volume has. For each instrument, click on the button that has two gears intermeshed (not sure the real name of that button). Under the "Controller" tab, set the "MIDI controller #7 (volume) range" to something higher than 0dB.

If all else fails, you could use something like Audacity to amplify the entire file, if you think you have a good mix and just want the overall volume level to be higher.

Nice music. Other posts spoiled the surprise of the brass entry, but it was effective nonetheless. I like where you took the original theme.
    Best Regards,

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast