• Register
  • Help

Topic: Logic Express Question/ No sound

Share/Bookmark

Logic Express Question/ No sound

Is there something that is on by default when you install Logic express, that is turned off when you install the updates???

Logic express, when i install it new, is ready to go, you can open a midi and play it, and whatever else you want, but after update from apple using the OSX's software update thing, there is no sound. This has happened before and i was never able to resolve so never played with logic anymore.

Erasing and reinstalling didn't even help, but i have since had a reinstall of the OSX, so now i'm back to where i was before, has sound, installed updates, no sound.

Can anyone help?

Re: Logic Express Question/ No sound

Nevermind, it's working now. I would delete thread, but it doesn't show that option... or maybe it is and i just can't see it.

So what do you figure was the issue? Inquiring minds want to know! Oh, and are you referring to Logic Express 7 or 8?
    Brad Pearson
    THG Music
    Spokane WA

MacBook Pro (2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo), 3 gig RAM, OS 10.6.5, Finale 2011b, GPO4 & CMB2

Hi Brad,

It's is LogicExpress 7.

Well i wish i knew what changed, but it is a puzzle, the only thing that i know of that i did between it not working and working, is posting threads asking for help. I had turned it off and restarted it, but had done that before without it restoring the sound.

Same time i posted this thread, i started the same one in this Logic forum,
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=56335
    and Ashermusic posted in response a suggestion to go to audio preferences and choose a driver, but i had already got my sound back just before reading it.

I looked to see and it was already checked to the only available option, "Built in audio"

That's why i was going to delete the thread instead of leaving it hanging like this, but i have no idea what changed.

David

Thanks for the reply, Leaf.

Another coupe of follow-up questions: did your computer go to sleep at some point in the process before you lost the sound? Did the sound come back after a re-start?

I take it that you're using the built-in sound on your Mac, and not an external device (like a FireWire or USB interface). What I've noticed with both of my M-Audio devices (FireWire 410 or USB FastTrack Pro) is that if the computer sleeps (or even "dozes") I lose the audio output through that device...in fact I lose audio output, period, until I re-start the device or re-start the computer.

I've also noticed that Logic (or my other DAW, Digital Performer) really doesn't like me turning the device on or off while it's running, so I save my work, quit Logic, then re-start the device. Most often, that takes care of the issue, and when I fire up Logic again, the sound is back.

Joining you in your pursuit of life's biggest questions....
    Brad Pearson
    THG Music
    Spokane WA

MacBook Pro (2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo), 3 gig RAM, OS 10.6.5, Finale 2011b, GPO4 & CMB2

Smile Re: Logic Express Question/ No sound

Quote Originally Posted by thgmusic
    Thanks for the reply, Leaf.

Another coupe of follow-up questions: did your computer go to sleep at some point in the process before you lost the sound? Did the sound come back after a re-start?

I take it that you're using the built-in sound on your Mac, and not an external device (like a FireWire or USB interface). What I've noticed with both of my M-Audio devices (FireWire 410 or USB FastTrack Pro) is that if the computer sleeps (or even "dozes") I lose the audio output through that device...in fact I lose audio output, period, until I re-start the device or re-start the computer.

I've also noticed that Logic (or my other DAW, Digital Performer) really doesn't like me turning the device on or off while it's running, so I save my work, quit Logic, then re-start the device. Most often, that takes care of the issue, and when I fire up Logic again, the sound is back.

Joining you in your pursuit of life's biggest questions....
    Hi Brad,

That was probably it, i thought i was set to never sleep, but just checked it and it was on never sleep only when plugged in, but not when running off battery (laptop). I had unplugged it (while computer running and logic tirned on) to move to different room and back, so that must be it... and that's when it came back, after a restart.

I don't have external devices, but have a M-audio usb keyboard, which i may have turned off by just unplugging the usb cord, guess i maybe shouldn't be doing that.

Thanks very much for your help, and for jogging my memory about unplugging power adapter and usb cable, i'll watch that and not do it anymore, and make sure logic is off and the battery's sleep setting is set for longer time, if i disconnect power adapter.

David

Go Back to forum