• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Which trumpet library will stop the criticism?

Share/Bookmark

Which trumpet library will stop the criticism?

I make a lot of orchestral music for television. For this I use Opus 1&2, Epic horns. These two libs sound great but many times peolple think the trumpets of Opus sound like a synthesizer. What other library could you guys recommend?

Cheers,

Ruud jan
    Last edited by RJBMusic; 10-03-2007 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Re: Which trumpet library will stop the criticism?

For tv type of stuff I would listen to the trumpets in EWQL Gold. Don't sound synthy and pack a nice punch.

I own Project SAM Orchestral Brass, Opus 1, Epic Horns, EWQL SO Gold XP Pro and Warp IV Screaming Trumpet. Many of these sound great.

Unfortunately, trumpets often sound like synths because the samples are too perfect. Crescendi, staccati, chords, etc sound wrong because the timing and tuning are too perfect.

So ... I very much recommend Wallander Instruments WIVI player and their brass instruments. Fantastic sounds, easy room placement and most importantly the ability to include random timing/tuning issues within the instruments.

Also an entire brass section loads into around 50MB of RAM! Possibly less, I've not checked in detail.

Why don't you post an example of the synthy trumpet? There is no point in spending any money on a new library, if your programming or engineering is the main problem. How do you know that you won't get the same problem with the new library?

D

For Solo Trumpets, I would really recommend ProjectSAM Solo Sessions as it has top-notch trumpet solos and is very inexpensive. (much less $$ than their full-blown Orchestral Brass)

For Trumpet sections and other brass sections, my favorite lib is Sonic Implants Symphonic Brass. SAM Trumpets is pretty good but doesn't have the same "body" at the fortissimo level that I can get from the Sonic Implants trumpets.

Red face Re: Which trumpet library will stop the criticism?

Quote "There is no point in spending any money on a new library, if your programming or engineering is the main problem. How do you know that you won't get the same problem with the new library?"

that's an insult

Try this link: http://84.53.96.59/rjbmusic/MP4/TVE-leader-small.mov

If that doesn't work, go to www.rjbmusic.nl
    Go to showreel, scroll down to 'Tijd voor elkaar'

Cheers,

Ruud Jan

Sorry, no insult intended. Just I have used the products that you mention, and I don't remember getting criticism. I've tried to listen to your example, but can't get any audio on the video files. Any mp3 instead?

D

Can't say I fancy the sound of the trumpet on that video, but I have Gold xp pro and when I used the trumpets in a somewhat close track (no reverb, etc) they did critisize the trumpet! While I found it amazing, people didn't even knew it was a trumpet. :O

don't know mate.

I think that trumpets are the worst instruments to sample really. Really really hard!

I like the EWQLSO Trumpets, especially for action-y stuff, I also like The SAM and Sonic Implants brass quite a bit.

I also prefer using the smaller section/solo trumpets, they sound much more realistic IMO. Only use the larger sections when they really need to pack some punch.

Yeah, while Daryl makes a good point about making sure your programming chops are not the issue, I have to agree with the others; Despite the best effort of talented developers, all sampled trumpets I've heard fall short. But WIVI definitely raises the bar quite high.

I'd like to take a crack at using the DEF in GS3 to make one without x fades. Could be just the ticket. That and some good varied (and controllable) legato patches could go a long way. Clever programming of attacks, releases, and special articulations would also help a lot. On that note, westgate's next tpt offering should bring a nice option to the table.

Belbin

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast