• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Topic: Looking For Advice Re Black Bass

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Looking For Advice Re Black Bass

    Scarbees new bass instrument looks amazing.

    I am looking for a more rocking bass. To my ears, version number 3 pretty much hits it. It has the "bite" I prefer.

    The only thing that makes me wonder is whether the string noise in this version is too prominent. I know I should "trust my ears", but, I don't fully. I don't want to use EQ to get rid of it because it will likely eliminate the very quality that draws me to that version of the Black Bass.

    So, I was hoping some of the knowledgeable people here could take a listen and comment on whether they think the string noise is perfectly appropriate or whether it might be too much.

    Thanks.

    jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

  2. #2

    Re: Looking For Advice Re Black Bass

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffn1
    Scarbees new bass instrument looks amazing.

    I am looking for a more rocking bass. To my ears, version number 3 pretty much hits it. It has the "bite" I prefer.

    The only thing that makes me wonder is whether the string noise in this version is too prominent. I know I should "trust my ears", but, I don't fully. I don't want to use EQ to get rid of it because it will likely eliminate the very quality that draws me to that version of the Black Bass.

    So, I was hoping some of the knowledgeable people here could take a listen and comment on whether they think the string noise is perfectly appropriate or whether it might be too much.

    Thanks.

    jeffn1
    Have you thought about the DI version with something like FreeAmp or their Bass Amp sims?

  3. #3

    Re: Looking For Advice Re Black Bass

    I thought about it (and I do have guitar rig). But, I don't trust my skill with the amp sim (plus there is the factor of additional CPU). It is a good point, though.

    jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

  4. #4

    Re: Looking For Advice Re Black Bass

    I'm not particularly bothered by the string sounds. I think they won't be overpowering in a full mix and it give the bass character IMO. I just purchased the DI version yesterday and played with it a little last night. I'm no GR guru, but I'm running it through GR2, and it sounds great so far. FWIW, I did toy with the eq a little, and it seemed that I could lessen the string noise without adversely affecting the sound to much.

  5. #5

    Re: Looking For Advice Re Black Bass

    Quote Originally Posted by damoy
    I'm not particularly bothered by the string sounds. I think they won't be overpowering in a full mix and it give the bass character IMO. I just purchased the DI version yesterday and played with it a little last night. I'm no GR guru, but I'm running it through GR2, and it sounds great so far. FWIW, I did toy with the eq a little, and it seemed that I could lessen the string noise without adversely affecting the sound to much.
    So, you think you can get a real good rock sound similar to version 3 by running the DI version it through Guitar Rig 2?

    jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

  6. #6

    Re: Looking For Advice Re Black Bass

    If you're after more of a rock sound, wait just a bit for them to release Red Bass. It's the J-Slap and Fingered basses, with the Black Bass scripts.

    I personally have the DI version of Black Bass, and couldn't be happier. Just download Boogex and some bass guitar impulses and play with it. It sounds great with a good amp, and you still have the freedom of the clean version.

    Excellent product. And I think Red Bass will be the same, and maybe more suited for you.

    Brent

  7. #7

    Re: Looking For Advice Re Black Bass

    Quote Originally Posted by koolkeys
    If you're after more of a rock sound, wait just a bit for them to release Red Bass. It's the J-Slap and Fingered basses, with the Black Bass scripts.

    I personally have the DI version of Black Bass, and couldn't be happier. Just download Boogex and some bass guitar impulses and play with it. It sounds great with a good amp, and you still have the freedom of the clean version.

    Excellent product. And I think Red Bass will be the same, and maybe more suited for you.

    Brent
    But, I guess I like the option of the greater articulations in Black Bass, even if I don't know precisely which articulations are left out.

    jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

  8. #8

    Re: Looking For Advice Re Black Bass

    To answer your question, surprisingly there doesn't seem to be a fret-noise volume, but there are knobs hidden under the hood (from the dropdown menu) that reduce the occurences of those noises to nothing if you want. I think both string and bridge noises are adjustable by percentage of occurence (I don't have it loaded up right now so my memory may be sketchy). There are some nice options pop-ups from that one menu. I'm quite pleased with Amped #2. I don't think it necessarily has to be used for heavy rock either (though I do really dig that skull).

    Yeah, boogex is nice as it has 3 bass cabinets to select in that dropdown menu. I'm still glad I went with the amped version though.

    Edit: I just checked the manual. I'm wrong. They actually have different types of releases (noisy/light/lightest) and you can adjust which ones are used (and by what percentage you hear them) which, I think, is way better than a volume control. There's even a keyswitch to choose release types. Nice! And I think the slides are superior in Black Bass...don't know about any other articulations.

  9. #9

    Re: Looking For Advice Re Black Bass

    Quote Originally Posted by OldGeezer
    To answer your question, surprisingly there doesn't seem to be a fret-noise volume, but there are knobs hidden under the hood (from the dropdown menu) that reduce the occurences of those noises to nothing if you want. I think both string and bridge noises are adjustable by percentage of occurence (I don't have it loaded up right now so my memory may be sketchy). There are some nice options pop-ups from that one menu. I'm quite pleased with Amped #2. I don't think it necessarily has to be used for heavy rock either (though I do really dig that skull).

    Yeah, boogex is nice as it has 3 bass cabinets to select in that dropdown menu. I'm still glad I went with the amped version though.

    Edit: I just checked the manual. I'm wrong. They actually have different types of releases (noisy/light/lightest) and you can adjust which ones are used (and by what percentage you hear them) which, I think, is way better than a volume control. There's even a keyswitch to choose release types. Nice! And I think the slides are superior in Black Bass...don't know about any other articulations.
    Well, maybe Mr. Scarbee can answer which release was used in the version 3 demo: noisy, light or lightest? And any thoughts on whether bringing it down one notch will moderate the finger noise somewhat.

    jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

  10. #10

    Re: Looking For Advice Re Black Bass

    For sure the loud noises are from the noisiest group. You can disable those ones by setting it to "tight" mode in the options. Then you're left with the medium and light noises and two knobs to adjust how often you hear them. A light release sample is way better than a heavy release with the volume turned down. So you can choose how "tight" you play right up to the point where you hear no releases if you want (or only the lightest...now and then).

    They really went to town on that bass.

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •