• Register
  • Help

Topic: Request for Advice: Vista+Sequencer

Share/Bookmark

Request for Advice: Vista+Sequencer

Hello!

I'd like to ask for some advice regarding a new sequencer.

You see, I recently aquired a new computer with Windows Vista. I'm looking for a new sequencer to purchase to run on it. Cubase doesn't seem to like Vista, and nothing else I find really works. Here's why:

I already have a program that I like to create, record, and edit MIDI data in. But it doesn't support VSTi. All I want is something that can load VST instruments and play the MIDI data I create with them. I don't want many bells and whistles. And, as a cash-strapped high schooler, I'd like it to be less than $150.

("Sonar 6 Home Studio" looks nice, but the demo has been causing problems for me with my sound card. I don't know why. "Cubase SE3" looks nice, but it's not supported by Vista.)

The reason I ask is because I'm not familiar with the sequencer world out there. Is there some bare-bones budget item out there that furfills these requirements? (As an example, I'd be perfectly happy with Overture that comes with GPO if it ran other VSTs). Any advice would be fantastic!

Re: Request for Advice: Vista+Sequencer

I think that reaper could do the trick then. Not too sure on what midi capabilities it has, but certainly it's worth a try, since it made by the same guy who built winamp () and many other lovely plug-ins. Plus it's shareware with no limits, which means that you download it (2-3 MB tops) use it, like it and pay the non commercial fee which is around 50$ or less...

google "reaper music" and you'll get it. Sorry I'm running out of time.

Exclamation Re: Request for Advice: Vista+Sequencer

The problem isn't Cubase, it's Vista. Unfortunately the OS is bleeding edge (heavy on the blood) and most of the people I have talked with in the DAW world have had nothing but problems with it. Hence, they will use XP for the next few years until Vista gets its act together. (SP1 delayed to Q1 08? )

Seriously, if you have XP use it. You will find most apps run great on XP but not on Vista just like Cubase. (I've used Cubase for seven years now.)

You can give Reaper a shot, I'm not sure if it supports Vista or not. http://www.cockos.com . Even if it does many VSTis do not so you will still have problems.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Some people are running Vista with no problems, but I have seen more people complaining than not.

If you are going to continue with Vista, be sure to research what VSTi's and
    VST effects are supported before you spend your money.

Also, are you sure your soundcard/interface is supported? Are there drivers available?

Good luck!
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by klassical
    Some people are running Vista with no problems, but I have seen more people complaining than not.

If you are going to continue with Vista, be sure to research what VSTi's and
    VST effects are supported before you spend your money.

Also, are you sure your soundcard/interface is supported? Are there drivers available?

Good luck!
    I'm sure one can run Vista with no problems if the expetations of great performance and effecinecy aren't in play.

It will never be competative (on the same PC) with XP ... IMO.

Thumbs up Re: Request for Advice: Vista+Sequencer

Right now the dependency is on the drivers for the sound card more than anything else. That said, Nuendo 4.1 and Cubase 4.1 are more tailored to take advantage of Vista, from what I understand. You can also run them in native 64-bit with their VSTBridge adapter to continue to use 32-bit plugins. If you have Cubase, I'd highly recommend that you try the latest version when it comes out before you commit to a switcheroo. The word on the street is that Nuendo pretty much nails it, and the Cubase update is not far behind.

If you're strapped for cash - try out n-track - it was one of the first hosts to go 64-bit, and I'd imagine it would play well with Vista.

http://ntrack.com/wiki/index.php/Doe...ndows_Vista%3F
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum