• Register
  • Help

Topic: Catherdral Organ Samples

Share/Bookmark

Catherdral Organ Samples

Hi Everyone

I'm looking for a really good Cathedral Organ sample - anyone know of one that is really good but not that expensive?. I've been looking at the Notre Dame de Budapest web site - sounds great but costa a coupla hunner bucks.

Cheerss, ColinD

Re: Catherdral Organ Samples

I believe Sample Tekk has a Cathedral Organ sample set. Their prices are very reasonable. Don't have the link handy at the moment but you could probably Google it.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

The SampleTekk organ is a Baroque organ, although a lovely one.

Maybe the Madeleine organ is what you are looking for? I don't know much about it, since I discovered it only a few days ago. It is for Hauptwerk as well as Kontakt 2.

You need to have Hauptwerk for the best organ libraries out there!

See more info on www.crumhorn-labs.com
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Maestro, Jaybee, Nickie and Falcon - From your discussion here, I feel you must be the right group of people to ask: - Why is the GPO Beckerath Concert Pipe Organ not appropriate for the kind of work Maestro is doing?

I freely admit being ignorant of the differences between various types of Organs. As long as they sound Big and Pipey--then I'm happy.

Really, it would be interesting to understand more about the differences between Organs, and why there seems to be a distinction between Baroque organs and Cathedral Organs--?--etc.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Maestro, Jaybee, Nickie and Falcon - From your discussion here, I feel you must be the right group of people to ask: - Why is the GPO Beckerath Concert Pipe Organ not appropriate for the kind of work Maestro is doing?

I freely admit being ignorant of the differences between various types of Organs. As long as they sound Big and Pipey--then I'm happy.

Really, it would be interesting to understand more about the differences between Organs, and why there seems to be a distinction between Baroque organs and Cathedral Organs--?--etc.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Maybe it is, Randy. I don't know what Colin is doing, I just answered the question he asked.

Baroque organs are usually smaller instruments with a smaller sound (at least the ones I have heard). And they usually have fewer ranks/stops. I am here assuming, that Colin with Cathedral organ means a (post-)Romantic organ. You can find Baroque organs in cathedrals, but rarely in their original, unaltered state, unless secondary to a larger more modern organ. Most Baroque organs seem to have been beefed up during the Romantic era.

STOPS!!!!

GPO's organ is only a few stops. Also the "note off" sound in the GPO samples is not as perfect as the Crumhorn Labs samples. Sampling notes from a pipe organ in a large reverberant environment is a very tricky thing to capture with the notes' releases, but without recording the room. The Crumhorn Labs organs have a tremendous variety of stops (sounds), and the editing of the samples is great.

I don't have the Crumhorn library of organs, but after hearing some of the music produced from them, I agree with Stefan and the others that it is a great library. I have often used the GPO pipe organ sounds. I record the various stops to audio tracks, then I crossfade between any of them, and sometimes I use an EQualizer high filter (LPF) to simulate the louvers opening and closing. It works pretty good.

Dan

The difference between baroque and romantic organ lays in few things

* Intonation
    * Number of stops
    * What stops the organ have
    * Action

Intonation:

Baroque organ generally have more clearer intonation as the main objective is clarity and individuality (character) of the stops.
    The romantic organ has another main objective and that is to simulate the orchestra and the clarity and individuality of each stop is sacrificed somewhat for more blending character of the stops. The romantic organ stops have also thicker sound.

Number of stops:

Generally baroque organ number of stops are in range of 10-60 but the romantic organ is in 30-100+ range.

What stops the organ have:

Baroque = Principal chorus, flutes, reeds (crumhorn, oboe, trumpet are most common), maybe 2-3 string stops (gamba, most common)
    Romantic = all what baroque have (but another intonation), plus much more string and reed stops. Also 32' stops are rather common, but not so in baroque organs.

Action:

Baroque organ have mechanical action (also called tracker) but romantic organ can also be mechanical but more common is that it have devices to make the action lighter, it's then called pneumatic action. Romantic organs can also have electronic action.

These are the main differences, but there are others like pedal boards have larger range (2-4 notes), higher wind pressure etc.

Well, enough info for now I think hehe..

While I remember... the main difference between using GPO organ and Hauptwerk is that with Hauptwerk you can choice the stops (even on fly) but in GPO organ you have only combinations of stops (with exceptions).
    Hauptwerk also imitates wind pressure, swell action etc. and does it quite well!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Hi everyone

thanx for your replies. I'm looking for a good organ sample for a fanfare & march. I've already sketched it out and produced a first draft mock up using the organ samples from Yellowtools Independance Free. I believe these samples are from the Notre Dame de Budapest organ and while they (the Yellowtools bundled organ samples) sound great straight out of the box they are still fairly limited. In fact I know I can get my piece sounding a whole lot better.

I've messed around a bit with the Garritan organ - I may go back to it and try and improve my understanding of it.

I like the Haupwerk and the Notre Dame - I suppose with one of those you get the sheer joy of writing for a complete pipe organ plus there's also the buzz of actually playing (I can convince myself of this!) the real thing. I'l post the first sketch later on in the week.

Cheers, ColinD

Go Back to forum