• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dynamics & Timbre change question (basic)

Share/Bookmark

Dynamics & Timbre change question (basic)

Hi, there,

I am new to orchestral scoring but not writing or recording. As I look at the various posts here of the different libraries that are available, I can't help wonder how they handle the timbre (tone quality) changes when holding one note and doing a large crescendo.

How do they handle things like this without a sample at "ppp" dynamic, once it gets to "fff"...just sounding like "ppp" but a lot louder? Do they generally have some kind of mechanism that switches the sample as it moves across the dynamic range?

Thanks a lot, and sorry if this is obvious,

- A

Re: Dynamics & Timbre change question (basic)

Hi, yes there is a way to change the timbre of the instrument while the volume increase.

It depends on your library but you must normally look for Crossfade samples or samples sensitive to the CC1. So with your ModWheel (or directly in you sequencer application) you will be able to change the timbre of the instrument in crescendo or diminuendo passages.

These sample names should usually contain the abreviation XFade, MW or DEF by example...
    Please note the timbre variation of these samples may also depend on the original velocity of the note...

CC2, Breath Controlled samples could also do the job, (usually brass or woodwind samples)

CC11, the Expression controller will modify the volume but not the timbre so it may not be what looking for. But if used wisely, they could still do the job for tutti passages or some intruments.

I hope it helps!
    Regards
    Nicolas Roy
    www.nicolasroy.com

Here a list of the MIDI controllers you can play with...

http://improv.sapp.org/doc/class/Mid...ntrollers.html
    Nicolas Roy
    www.nicolasroy.com

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasroy
    CC11, the Expression controller will modify the volume but not the timbre
    That depends on the instrument. There are instruments, that have CC#11 affect volume as well as timbre. Stradivari and Gofriller, f.ex.

Quote Originally Posted by angelic
    Do they generally have some kind of mechanism that switches the sample as it moves across the dynamic range?
    Yes. It's done using sample layers, envelopes and EQ. The number of layers and the amount of programming needed to give you a smooth transition between layers is a major part of what you pay for in a library.

Ernie

Some libraries have crescendo patches.

Go Back to forum