• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A Wisp Of Change

Share/Bookmark

A Wisp Of Change

Second movement of flute quintet. Redone and extended from last year.

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5838709&q=hi

Re: A Wisp Of Change

Interesting writing, Gary; but... the rendering is quite dry.
    This is such a consistent problem area for you -- I wish
    there was some way we could help you get it firmly
    resolved!

Always my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks for listening, David.
    I thought it sounded a bit better...
    Gary

I have visited your website and found many pieces there that I enjoyed alot. This one I am afraid does not do anything for me. It would help a lot if there was more reverb!! I have listened to it 3 or 4 times now and wish I could say something nicer about, for I know the amount of work it takes to compose.

Actually, I have come up with something nice to say... Please keep in mind that I did visit your site and truly enjoyed a number of the pieces there.

I also post on another site. One piece I posted was very atonal and I got the following reply and almost fell on the floor I was laughing so hard. I will give you the same reply and hope you take it in a good way.

"....upon further listenings, I didn't mind it as much..."

It made my day when I got that reply, hope you can see the humor.

Ron

Thanks Ron,
    I think your reaction probably means that the organization is unclear; perhaps
    no clear themes float to the surface. I wll continue working and post again.
    Gary

It is quite different. Yes dry, ad David said, and is very petite. Interesting to see performed. Hmmm.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Thanks for listening, Tuba
    Is that dry like a martini, or like a desert. I've heard the term a lot, but it doesn't 'resonate.'
    Is the term DRY used to describe a blurred tone quality, or lack of vibrato?
    Gary

Hi, Gary - It was intriguing to hear this piece earlier, and I wanted to reply--but just didn't have the heart to bring up the lack of reverb issue again.

But your new message - I just Have to reply--"Dry" doesn't refer to a blurred tone quality, or lack of vibrato -It's referring to a lack of reverb. A Dry signal is one straight "out of the box" with no reverb added. Totally unnatural sounding, since everything in nature is heard with some ambience. At least some reverb always has to be added to synth or sampler driven music for the sounds to come across more realistically. The "wetness" of a sound refers to how much reverb has been added to it. Think of reverb as water - that's the analogy.

And if you could have gotten the screen shots to us, we could probably see what's being done incorrectly, since this is another piece which simply has no reverb on it. - We Gotta help you figure this out!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I agree with those comments, Gary, it just the reverb that it needs to make the sound of that flute blossom, compostionally it it quite nice and it's a lovely and interesting piece that deserves to heard with less dryness in the flute's tone. No reverb makes it sound kinda flat but your writing is great and the rendering of the notes and expression is very good.

David

I think a good starting point would be (if you are using Finale) is:

at the bottom of the window that appears when you click on AU setup (from the player in studio view), check the box "Ambience." Then click on the edit button beside it.

Those two sliders at the top of the window that is now open, are the dry and wet controls.
    It's default has dry on zero and wet is half way.
    To get a more intimate sound with less reverb than Ambience's default reverb, i always slide the wet back to about a fourth of the way, or a third of the way, depending on how much of default reverb i want to lessen,
    and then slide the dry to where it is slightly the same or slightly lower than the wet.

Then,
    if too dry, slide the wet up a little,
    if too wet, slide the dry up a little.

Hope that helps
    David

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast