• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Sleep Deprived

Share/Bookmark

OT: Sleep Deprived

After a year of trying to get work, I now have taken on so much it is scary. In playing catch-up I have been burning the long hours for quite a while, but this past week takes the cake. We had a long weekend here and I worked 20 hours a day for all three days (after a week of 18 hour days working through a bad cold (did an all-nighter one day last week). Then on Tuesday night my wife and I were woken by a large mouse in our room and we only got three hours sleep. With two large deadlines looming this morning, I have just done a double-allnighter since Tuesday's three hours sleep. It is now Friday morning and I haven't been to bed since Tuesday.

I handed in the first of two projects at 7:00 this morning and received an email back, without a word of thanks, asking where was the other one (which they will get within the hour).

Large corporates can be bullies.

Smile Re: OT: Sleep Deprived

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins
    Large corporates can be bullies.
    You got that right, it is an unfortunate truth. I've been down that road and it is not an easy one to travel. Just be sure to rest when you can, take time to relax your mind and always remember there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

We are all pulling for you and hope everything turns out great!

What kind of work do you do Alan?

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: OT: Sleep Deprived

Hang in there, Alan.

One of my favorite sayings: This, too, shall pass.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Alan -

That sounds pretty rough. In the interest of your sanity and health, is it possible to hire/subcontract someone to help you?
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by LFO

What kind of work do you do Alan?
    I am a reformed accountant who now works in in IT - software development and the like.

I was a CIO up until last year and left my job to spend four months nursing my youngest (11yo) of three daughters (oldest is 16) back to health from the brink.

Having achieved a degree of fame as the world's first CIO to use Salesforce.com as a business platform, with speaking engagements in San Francisco, South Carolina, Singapore and Sydney, I found myself having difficulty getting back into the game - I didn't fit any of the established peg holes so I decided after running out of money to start my own business doing software and business systems design and advice.

You can now get your sleep Alan

Sleep tight and don't let the bedbugs bite.

You're getting very sleepy, very sleepy.

SHHHHHH.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins
    I am a reformed accountant who now works in in IT - software development and the like.

I was a CIO up until last year and left my job to spend four months nursing my youngest (11yo) of three daughters (oldest is 16) back to health from the brink.

Having achieved a degree of fame as the world's first CIO to use Salesforce.com as a business platform, with speaking engagements in San Francisco, South Carolina, Singapore and Sydney, I found myself having difficulty getting back into the game - I didn't fit any of the established peg holes so I decided after running out of money to start my own business doing software and business systems design and advice.
    Wow, I didn't know most of this, Alan. [or if i forgot, pardon my brain-damaged memory] A very impressive history -- not only the tech, but your experience with your youngest daughter. I trust she is well now? I've been on that "brink" myself so my admiration for your endurance is very personal.

I do hope you can manage to rest soon. To do this day after day takes such a toll. Funny you are the second person I am writing today who is seriously sleep-deprived! Myself, I am quite an insomniac, but trying to not be!

Anyway, sending my warm thoughts your way that soon you get some rest!

Karen

Maybe try resetting your priorities? When I was musical director for a youth theatre group, I found myself working sometimes to the earliest hours of the next day. After re-evaluating my schedule, I found there was plenty of time during the early evenings to get my work completed and still have plenty of time for sleep. What I did was set priorities and put last the things I can do anytime. My work was being completed faster and more efficient. Sleep Deprivation only slows the thought processes down to almost a state of confusion.
    And, if this doesn't help ... drink heavily until you pass out!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum