• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: fyi: new orchestral library...with a catch

Share/Bookmark

fyi: new orchestral library...with a catch

just thought i'd give everyone a heads up...

http://www.ableton.com/live-7-announcement

third of the way down the page...ableton is releasing their own orchestral library co-produced with sonivox. details are skimpy but there are quite a few sound samples, i'll leave it to y'all to pick them apart!

$800.

the catch? it only works within live. hmm.

Re: fyi: new orchestral library...with a catch

Quote Originally Posted by scientist
    just thought i'd give everyone a heads up...$800.the catch? it only works within live. hmm.
    Went straight to the strings as usual and listened to the very limited sound selection. Alright at the price I would say, but compared to other strings available already, personally I would leave it. The legato sounds weird.

I have also went first for the strings, just didnt sound to good to my ears. Maybe its just me...Joseph

Personally, I think it sounds solid. The demos are not flattering, but listen past that to the actual samples.

Can't say that it sounds good, I'm sorry to say. The strings ensemble really felt like a synth from the old days. And woods were not really good as well.

Somehow I get a feeling that this is a kind of library that is aimed not so much to orchestral composers, but to electronic, or dance, or something composers, that wish to add that pallete to their tracks, thus only for Live.

Hi Guys,

These strings are a subset of SISS, which is generally considered to be the best (or at least one of the best) string library available at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Nadeau
    Hi Guys,

These strings are a subset of SISS, which is generally considered to be the best (or at least one of the best) string library available at the moment.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I hope that you don't work for SISS. These strings sound dreadful, and if this was a representative sample of what SISS sounds like then it is not even in the same league as other string libraries.

However, it could just be the appallingly cr*p programming on the demos. :>)

D

No, I don't work for Sonivox. Actually, I haven't even listened to the demos. I just find it funny and ironic that a library that's usually praised as perhaps the best string library out there is pretty much destroyed in this thread. Shows you that you can't really judge a library just by a few demos.

FWIW, I do own SISS, and it's a great string library.

I only listened to the first Strings Ensemble demo, but they do sound pretty ropey.

I have however heard some phenomenal demos with SISS strings, and agree that they're damn-good! Can't believe that these two are linked.

Hey,

Just listened to a few of the demos. They are indeed horrible. Somebody clearly didn't know what they were doing (or else Live is simply not a good tool to do proper orchestral mockups? I wouldn't know as I've never used it, but I guess it's a possibility).

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast