• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Symphonic Poem about The Hague

Symphonic Poem about The Hague

The first two pieces are ready now. Rendered to the best I could with Sonar. It was quite an undertaking to do. You will notice a difference in panning than normal. I used the seating plan of the Philharmonia Orchestra: Luzern 2002. Google for "Orchestral Seat Plans"".

Symphonic Poem - The Hague - part 1 - Boxnet
    Symphonic Poem - The Hague - part 2 - Boxnet
    [I just found out that the MP3 versions don't have the quality I had in mind]

Poem-part1 - eSnips
    Poem-part2 - eSnips
    [a much better quality - less compression - takes ages to download]

Symphonic Poem about The Hague - part 1. It tells the story of a walk through the Royal City of The Hague. At sunrise the city awakes and all activities come to life, like heavy drilling, workmen at building construction sites, heavy traffic and suddenly one passes the Royal Palace, The historical Houses of Parliament and other famous buildings, some street musicians play their tunes and suddenly you get back into the "modern" world to end this impressionistic walk.

Symphonic Poem about The Hague - part 2. At the end of World War II, March 3rd 1945, due to a tragic error, the British bombers, bombarded a part of the town, instead of the V2 launching area nearby. This piece pictures the grieve after the silence fell in again and people woke up from their initial shock to find their beloved ones dead and their houses ruined and in flames. Two months later the war ended.

I used SIR with Convolution LEXICON PCM90Halls/ORCH-concerthall.

Enjoy and any comments are welcome,

Now going for the two other pieces, more lightfooted than the first two, I promise,

Re: Symphonic Poem about The Hague

Good morning, Raymond

I've been looking forward to your Sonar version of your huge Symphonic Poem. What a tremendous achievement this is, my friend.

On my way to the theatre this morning, I made time to hear Part One, and soon I'll be able to hear Part Two.

This powerful music is even richer in this Sonarized rendition - I should say it was Well worth the effort to take your files into that program. It's a constantly exciting movement that truly gives a strong impression of the magnificent city.

By the way, I tried to duplicate your Google search to see what seating chart you based your placements on, but couldn't manage to find it.

I want to mention one detail which could use a tweak in Sonar's Piano View MIDI editor - The snare drum tends to sound like its notes are all on the same velocity. A sweep through the velocities with the pencil tool would provide the rise and fall of hit strengths which would make it more natural sounding.

Magnificent - I have to use that word again.

And I'm really looking forward to the powerful second part - the walk through the accidental devastation during WWII.

Clapping my hands as loudly as I can. Bravo.

Randy B.

Wilton, NH

I am very impressed with your vision on these to movements or “parts”. I have heard both before and commented at that time.

I think both sound great, however, I do hear a little “machine gun” effect in the percussion of the first part, particularly near the beginning. Nothing to worry about because overall I really like the sound. I don’t remember exactly how they were before you worked on them in Sonar, but the out come is great.

The music in both is so powerful but in very different ways. Can’t wait to hear the final two parts.
    Trent P. McDonald

I loved the opening to this! It's nice to see that there is a few here that have no qualms about throwing in some dissonance into their works. I can hear what you saw in your mind or see in person if that is the case.

There is a few spots where there is the machine gun effect, but I think it fits in the outline of your poem. The second one seems to alot more tonal in nature and fits the description as well.

I look forward to the next 2 movements.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    By the way, I tried to duplicate your Google search to see what seating chart you based your placements on, but couldn't manage to find it.
    Floorplan: the second picture in this thread.

PS. Other messages read, but I will answer them later today. Have other things to do.

Very powerful score and well-rendered. There is a raw undercurrent of violence in this piece--definitely works
    Thanks for posting

Hmm. Interesting harmonic structure, and I enjoyed your melodies. I wonder if this is it for the Hague? Or will there be more?

Beginning timpani stuff btw, was like very curious. It remind it me in some ways of like the 2001 Space Odyssey

There is some kind of crazy reptition thing where it sounds like the strings are a machine gun.
    Yours Truly,
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:

Hello folks,

thank you for the kind words and useful comments. During the spare hours today I amended the "machine gun" effect on the snaredrums, added legato for the piccolo, where necessary. Also added some more effects for the timpani, I noticed that when played at a normal volume level the first softer notes weren't noticeable.

I am not sure what you mean by the machine gun in the violins, Tubajedimr. Where (time) is it? I listened again and again, but maybe my headphones hide it, or my monitors, but still.... I can't find this. Please tell me.

Maybe it is gone because I used another dynamic compression in the final editing. Before and presented in the Listening Room I had a certain compression, I thought right. After having listened myself to this more than once and after some listening of contemporary CD's I corrected myself and applied less compression to keep the dynamics at their intended level.

Those corrections will not be presented here, not until I've finished parts 3 and 4. (Read it carefully, Tubajedimr, I have two other pieces belonging to this symphonic thingie on my drawing board!!!) Now entering the weekend, it will be a sunny day tomorrow, moderate temperatures, so.... some exercise for these old muscles is never wasted.

For those who are interested in the score, see below. It is at eSnips in pdf format.

Hi Raymond,

Wow! I'm really impressed by your creativity. You have really brought the two pieces to life with this latest edit. I feel like part two is totally transformed! The dynamics and minimal percussion/woodwinds help me now to see what you were going for in part II. The feeling I get when listening to this piece is grief mixed with near-insanity. It's the sense of disbelief/wanting to believe this did not happen, punctuated by the intense awareness that this is real. The dissonant chords really produce that feverish feeling, and the relentless quality, as mentioned by Randy, drives it home. You may want to slow the tempo in parts to dramatically highlight those feverishly dissonant chords. With part I, yes, there is that machine gunning type of thing going on. It sounds almost intended in a certain way and I sort of liked the fact that it didn't sound like a real orchestra. Well done! I look forward to hearing more from you and I'd love to hear a real orchestra play these.
    John Dickason.
    "To stop the flow of music would be like the stopping of time itself, incredible and inconceivable." Aaron Copland.

Just got through listening to Part II, Raymond... very
    definitely some of your best work -- the richness of
    the harmonic palette an able complement of the
    emotional impact... and both perfected to the topical

Technically... this seems somewhat dry to my ear.
    Given the broad strokes of it, my personal preference
    would be toward a sense of more room and space.

Shall we have a Part III on this soon?

All my best,

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast