• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Voices in the Wilderness: A Garland of Mystical Poems, mv 1: Heaven-Haven

Share/Bookmark

Voices in the Wilderness: A Garland of Mystical Poems, mv 1: Heaven-Haven

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...467&q=hi&ref=2

This is a sketch (which would be expanded if it goes forward) of a first movement of a suite of pieces for small orchestra and chorus. Each piece would be a musical setting of a poem (or portion of a poem) by a contemplative/mystic poet. Poets would be selected from a variety of traditions and cultures, and the musical setting would attempt to fit well with the style and subject of each poem. I have sent a proposal for this suite to the music director at my church, so we'll see if it goes anywhere...

This first movement is a setting of Gerard Manley Hopkin's poem "Heaven-Haven". The music is simple and lyrical, in keeping with the poem's style and subject. The meter changes in order to more closely mimic the natural speaking rhythm of the poem, combined with considerations of musicality of course.

The words, slightly adapted are:

I have desired to go
    Where springs won't fail
    To fields where flies no sharp and sided hail
    And a few lillies blow.

And I have asked to be
    Where no storms come
    Where the green swell is in the havens dumb
    And out of the swing of the sea.

- GM Hopkins

Re: Voices in the Wilderness: A Garland of Mystical Poems, mv 1: Heaven-Haven

Very nice. I always look forward to you offerings in the listening room. This is one so, uh. what's the word I'm looking for, oh yes, Peace-ful.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

First off, I love the new avatar. I had to go to your site and check out all your other photos. I will refrain from trying to make you blush!!!!

BTW Nice site.

This piece is very peaceful and seems to work well for your purposes. The triangles at the beginning fit perfectly!! Overall, the piece is a bit slow for my taste, but what do I know?

Well Done

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    First off, I love the new avatar. I had to go to your site and check out all your other photos. I will refrain from trying to make you blush!!!!

BTW Nice site.

This piece is very peaceful and seems to work well for your purposes. The triangles at the beginning fit perfectly!! Overall, the piece is a bit slow for my taste, but what do I know?

Well Done

Ron
    Well, it's amazing what makeup and digital processing can do for one's looks LOL! I'm much plainer looking than that avatar would suggest, oh well! as for slow, well, yeah it is. None of the sturm und drang of space things. But then, Hopkins wrote the poem for a nun taking the veil, so that puts it in perspective, I guess!

A nun. I can see it now. It is rather churchy. But very elegant, and delicate. Lovely. Please expand on this idea!!!!
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

I liked this “song”. It should make a good opening to your suite. I tried to follow along with the words, but I’m not sure how successful I was…
    Trent P. McDonald

Very pacific with appropriately monastic (nunastic?) redolences
    consistent with its subject, Karen -- a chorale miniature that
    should make a fine opener. It will be interesting to hear how this
    all fits together as it progresses... the choice of (poetic)
    thematic material, for instance, might almost become an
    element of structure across the "movements".

Nice handling of the orchestra relative to the choir -- reinforcing
    where it should; getting out of the way a bit where it might
    interfere.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Karen,
    Beautiful and magestic, and peaceful, it fits Hopkins' poem so well.

Can't wait to hear more of these, and best of luck.. uh or devine favor.. on your proposal to the music director.

David

Karen,

This is really great. It gives me the feeling of the Holst "Planets" at some points, although it stands completely unique as a composition. Yes please do continue on with it. Thanks for sharing it here.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Karen,

Started listening during a bout of insomnia and just had to tell you how profoundly moved I am by this. What did you use for orchestra and choir? (I know this is a forum for GPO compositions and if that is GPO, it's amazingly smooth and rich.)

I've had ideas for years about putting music to poems for years but still getting my system up to par & learning midi essentials.

Thanks again for the heavenly music!

Saraswati

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast