• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: QL56: Nick, About the Copy Protection

Share/Bookmark

QL56: Nick, About the Copy Protection

Nick,

Before saying anything, I want you to know that this is one of the greatest sample library I\'ve ever had. I have a POD and also the ReValver DXi (full version) plug-in, and both of them make the QL56 sample as real as can be. Thank you for making this library.

Furthermore, I hate pirate copies as much as you do. Being a song writer, it breaks my heart everytime I see those cheap copies sold along the street. So I\'m not here to tell you you shouldn\'t use any copy protection.

But, is there no other way?

I just received and installed the library, so I don\'t know yet how long the system will ask me for the original disc for verifacation, but that can be bothering sometime, especially if the system stops and asks you for the disc during the middle of the 2-track to DAT procedure.

Also, I always store my discs (samples, programs, backups, etc.) in an electric closet that keeps them away from humidity (I\'m not a native English speaker so I don\'t know its name, but I\'m sure you know what I\'m talking about). Opening it from time to time is not good. And I can\'t imagine if from now on every sample library producer add this to their work - we\'ll be spending more time finding the discs than doing musical arrangement.

As for the digital watermark, I\'m for it.

I don\'t know if there\'s other way round, and I\'m fine with the current solution as long as it doesn\'t bother me too frequently; but if you can, please use another method for copy protection.

If not, alright. The library\'s so great that I\'m willing to take this.

Best Regards,

Arys Chien
    Composer & Musician
    Deep White Studio
    Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.

Re: QL56: Nick, About the Copy Protection

WWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT???? ????????????????

Please explain what is happening in more detail, it almost sounds like something is asking you to \"place the original cd\" in the cd bay once in a while?????????????

Tell me this is not happening.....

Now wait a min. guys. What Nick/East West has done on these cd\'s is the best thing that could happen for legit use of sample cd\'s. Look this copy protection scheme is NOT going to ruin a session or hurt you in any way. It\'s just like Wavelab does....from time to time (not that often) it just asks that you put the original disc in the drive for verification. This is NO BIG DEAL!!!

Like everyone else, I keep all my original discs on a shelf in my office. When I need one for verifcation I get up out of my chair walk across the room and pop it in and I\'m done. This is a SMALL price to pay for the all the hard work that developers put into these products.

I am always very skeptical when I hear guys complaining about this because \"they keep their originals in a another house in a another town\".....come on

Donnie

How is a sample protected? What is the running application that stops running and waits for you?

> What Nick/East West has done on these cd\'s
    > is the best thing that could happen for
    > legit use of sample cd\'s.

What a retarted statement. How is impeding the creative flow of a legit owner the best thing for sample owners? Copy protection sucks, it only damages the legit owners, everyone else that wants to pirate will find the cracks, and it sucks when legit users get less functional version than pirates.

> Look this copy protection scheme is NOT
    > going to ruin a session or hurt you in any way.

You can\'t figure out why unecessary session interruptions hurt the session? Maybe this dogma serves your business needs, but it doesn\'t fly here.

> This is NO BIG DEAL!!!

That\'s your opinion, mine is copy protection sucks, and disk requests are the most intrusive form. I avoid such software whenever possible and know others that feel the same. I\'m glad to know in advance that these products are crippled, too many developers try to sneak this crud on their users, and never mention the point until they have your money. It\'s not just that the \'solution\' is worse than the problem, it burdens legit users without substantially addressing the problem.

> I am always very skeptical when I hear
    > guys complaining about this because \"they
    > keep their originals in a another house in
    > a another town\".....come on

Do you believe the original poster is a pirate, come here to address the sample author? This logic is about as dumb as the rest of your post.

Sam,

What a witty little remark to my post however here\'s the bottom line. In the year I\'ve had Wavelab it\'s asked me for the original disk twice. That is hardly putting me out.

Let me ask you this...do you think it\'s fair if you pay $399 for a sample disc and someone else gets it for free? Now thats something to get mad about.

Oh, and if you loose your concentration and your creative genious in a session because of a 1 min. process then you obvioulsy have much bigger things to worry about.

Donnie

I have VotA and it also has this copy protec tion....however I have yet to be asked to put the CD in. To me its not a big deal, however it could be problematic if I\'m working away from the office on my laptop, and I\'m asked to insert the CD. Before anyone says \"jsut put the cd in your laptop case...I have to say you\'ve got to be kidding me.

Still its the quality of the sample library that makes me decide on whether I want it or not, not the copy protection...

Tho dongles can be an issue for me...firewire ones will be the way to go if you\'re going dongle atleast in the futre. Daisy chaining will be QUITE easier, and out of the way I\'ve seen Proprietary USB dongles, these are simple to use as well. I have no problem with copy protection jsut so long as it doesn\'t hassle me all the time. Once in a while is no problem at all. Even if its once a month. With the amount of tiem it takes to load HUGE gigs, its not like its making abig difference

as for the watermarking. THIS is awesome

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

I had a massive reply to this, because as a Windows software developer I have major concerns, but first I would like these questions answered by someone from East/West or Nick.

1) Is this copy protection a feature of GigaStudio?

2) Are you installing a TSR (terminate and stay ready) program or similar app that runs from time to time on the end user\'s computer?

3) Assuming the answer to #2 is yes, are you telling the end user before the purchase about this copy protection?

4) Assuming the answer to #2 is yes, are you notifying the end user at the time of installation about the copy protection and giving the end user the option to \"not agree\" and return the software?

I look forward to your answers.

[This message has been edited by Munsie (edited 12-08-2001).]

This is being blown WAY out of proportion. In the distant future, one day when you open up gigastudio, you will be asked to insert disk # 1. It takes 5 seconds.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick Phoenix:
    This is being blown WAY out of proportion. In the distant future, one day when you open up gigastudio, you will be asked to insert disk # 1. It takes 5 seconds.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn\'t it the customer who gets to decide the proportions you think it\'s way out of?

If you\'re going to make customers visit the parole officer from time to time for buying your products, they should be told AND as Munsie pointed out, they must be allowed to decline your kind offer and return the software.

I agree with Sam and Munsie. This isn\'t an argument where Donnie or you can tell anyone whether it matters or not; it should be up to the customer. How dare you hijack people\'s PCs. It is a bloody disgrace. It is an infingement on human rights. It is theft of hard disk space, memory and the customer\'s patience and good will. Blowing it out of proportion? Really? This comes from a guy who said \"People are pigs\" in a previous thread regarding all those nasty pirates who\'re supposed to be stealing your precious treasure

Please answer Munsie\'s question while you\'re at it. I noticed you posted 50 minutes after he asked, but couldn\'t be bothered; prefering instead to demonstrate your precognitive abilities.

If Kingidiot thinks it\'s okay that\'s his business. It is not okay. It is your own paranoia that has been blown out of proportion. I can still hardly believe that it\'s true

And please tell me this is not the case with Rare Instruments. I enjoy the library enormously. It is fine work. But if I have to insert it anywhere at your behest after paying good money for it, I will check the license agreement and (in the absence of notice) I will sue your *** .

Great posts Sam & Munsie. This is what this group is for.

You are told about it during the install. I believe you are allowed to cancel the install. I can\'t remember, but I believe so. However. I doubt you are able to return the software \"easily\" due the the current way most distributers handle sample liscences.. \"once they are opened, they can\'t be returned\" It may be different with new libraries tho.

Rare Instruments, I believe, does not do this. It probably hasn\'t been implimented until VERY recently.

Its not hidden from the user. You are told about it during install. The install procedure is not just simple copying gigs in VotA\'s case, its a self extracting RAR file. Im sure its similar to the way giga asks for original disks when installing certain Gigs. Its always been a \"feature\" of giga, and I Have seen the dialog box come up before, but due to user error.

and yes, again, its not a big deal to *ME*. Its all about the music and the sounds that is important to me.

Why hasn\'t anyone complained about digital watermarking? It usually DOES affect the actual audio file, whether its discernable will be up to the end user and his/her methods of audio analysis.

Anyhow, I\'m guessing that the copyprotection will be similar to the way Giga asks for the Gigapiano CD from time to time, before you register.

This group is for everyone, not only for people who disagree with copy protection, so DAMNMIT TELL ME I\'M PUTTING UP GREAT POSTS TOOO!!!! :P

BTW I NEVER said this protection was OK for everyone, I just said it wasn\'t a big deal to me. It obviously is to other people.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

[This message has been edited by KingIdiot (edited 12-08-2001).]

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast