• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: All of projectSam in GPOA?

Share/Bookmark

All of projectSam in GPOA?

Hi, this is more a question for Gary but if anyone else knows chip in please!

Ive just been listening to the frankly quite amazing brass samples at the projectsam website as I had a vague recollection that they will be in GPOA when it comes out (is that right?) so i thought id take a sneak peak as it were....well, are ALL the brass samples gonna be included in GPOA? even all the effects and interval samples? Because if they are, and combined with the Garritan seal of awesomeness (customer service, advice, ease of use etc etc) then WHEN IS IT COMING OUT? cos its going to be absolutely amazing!

thankyou!

Ben

Re: All of projectSam in GPOA?

ProjectSAM and Garritan?

Can it be true?

Here is another Ben eagerly awaiting an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by BenNichols
    Hi, this is more a question for Gary but if anyone else knows chip in please!

Ive just been listening to the frankly quite amazing brass samples at the projectsam website as I had a vague recollection that they will be in GPOA when it comes out (is that right?) so i thought id take a sneak peak as it were....well, are ALL the brass samples gonna be included in GPOA? even all the effects and interval samples? Because if they are, and combined with the Garritan seal of awesomeness (customer service, advice, ease of use etc etc) then WHEN IS IT COMING OUT? cos its going to be absolutely amazing!

thankyou!

Ben
    Yes, ProjectSAM will be in GPOA. Not all the samples, but a good amount, and we'll be using some new technology with it. We'll also be adding some of our own brass as well that will match. I really wish I can give a date but I have learned the hard way it is not wise to do so - Murphy's Law always has a way of kicking in.

I think this is going to be one special library. Please let me know what else you would like to see in GPOA.

Best,

Gary

Gary,

I would like to see a standard eight-string mandolin in one of your sample libraries.

Mandolin was my first instrument and I would like to do some writing for it.

Thanks,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I would love to see an awful lot of instruments. Things like renaissance lutes, irish tin whistles, irish pipes (uillean bagpipes), scottish bagpipes, and the good old soprano and bass recorders.

I'm sure everything is covered in GPOA but here are some instruments I'd love to see included:

Cornet, Euphonium, Wagner Tuba, Alto Horn, Serpents, Saxhorns, Piccolo Clarinet, All the saxes in J&BB plus the soprillo sax, and all the brass in C&MB as well (I think the cornet, euphoniums are in C&MB).

Also, Banjo, Mandolin, Ukelele, Oud, and Folk Guitar (different from normal acoustic guitar, I think this one has silk covered steel strings and so easy on the fingers). As well as the Lute. I know this seems like a lot to ask, but we're in a transitional phase with regards to electronic musicians, and they all want something that is different. Most libraries (if not all) do not cater to these musicians (like myself) who want a vast array of different timbres to choose from when composing. There are some pieces that just don't sound right without the right timbre. The more timbres we can choose from, the better.

This is where physical modelling is a godsend. Pianoteq is a perfect example of this, there are numerous models of pianos (and even a model of a harpsichord) in Pianoteq now. There are user presets - one user managed to recreate a good rhodes sound with it.

I'm hoping there is something in GPOA that isn't in GPO/J&BB/C&MB, and that is, dynamic expression - the ability to change the note on the fly, and seamless transitions between notes...just like on a real acoustic instrument.

Sample libraries seem to suffer from this same ailment, and it's not anyone's fault, it's just that the technology is old and seriously needs to be replaced with something like in Solo Strad, Gofriller, or something like Wallander Instruments. These instruments allow one to seamlessly blend dynamics and note transitions and therefore sound realistic or at least halfway decent. I can't say the same for standard run-of-the-mill sample libs.

Ben

Bela D Media are having a Group Buy on many of their products at the moment, including the Celtic Winds which includes uillean and highland pipes, tin whistles etc, and at 50% discount for the group buy this month, it is a steal.

But they're just a standard sample lib. I've heard demos and I can pick out that they were sampled.

I've heard plenty of real recordings and the difference is unmistakable to my ears.

Sampled instruments will always sound sampled. Unless they use some sort of technology like the sonic morphing with the solo Strad or a parallel resynthesis technology like WIVI.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    I think this is going to be one special library. Please let me know what else you would like to see in GPOA.

Best,

Gary
    If there's any way to include a recorder, Gary, that would be awesome!
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Yes, ProjectSAM will be in GPOA. Not all the samples, but a good amount, and we'll be using some new technology with it. We'll also be adding some of our own brass as well that will match. I really wish I can give a date but I have learned the hard way it is not wise to do so - Murphy's Law always has a way of kicking in.

Best,

Gary
    Brillinat! Thankyou so much Gary! WHat else would I like to see in GPOA? Well if you can get any amount of projectSams' "True Strike" package in, that would be brilliant! also any Asian instruments would be great...Im thinking or anything that would be valuable with regards to film music really!

Thanks!
    Ben

if GPOA is everything its being cracked up to be i'll be more than happy, but since you are asking if we'd like to see anything else in it i'll say this - if you could put in a horn section that just sounds huge (like the epic horns library) and brass also (like the counterpart to epic horns) that would make me beyond happy. don't get me wrong, i love the horns in the regular GPO, but i can't seem to make them sound "BIG" (even when messing with all the cc's), and i think thats because its in the actual recording of the samples.

i realize that this would probably reqiure extra recordings, so it probably won't be feaseable, but there is my 2 cents.

p.s. can't wait until GPOA comes out (like i seriously can't wait)
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Go Back to forum