• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Is Anyone Using Logic Professionally?

Share/Bookmark

Is Anyone Using Logic Professionally?

Well there's a question I'm sure I'll get a lot of flack for, but I dont' mean it that way. In fact, I just bought Logic Pro 8 tonight and am installing it now.

I've been on Pro Tools for years, save for last year when I took a little adventurous delve into Logic 7, then Nuendo, for the Mac. Both had some cool things, but neither was dependable enough for me to get work done without spending most of my time on the Apple forum, the Nuendo forum, the RME forum ("It might be your interface...") or what have you.

Like many of you, I get assignments to do all sorts of things. Music to picture, or just songs that need to be produced, etc. Most of my work varys between pop stuff and orchestral stuff.

Anyway, I've thought of trying to sell the HD system and go native again. The threads on the Apple forum are scary re Logic ("Coreaudio errors" etc). Now the new comping feature seems to be causing sync problems, etc.

So....I'm wondering....is there anyone out there, except hobbyists...that are actually getting paid to do work by Friday and getting it done on Logic, and achieving big time results soundwise?

Thanks for any input....

Tom
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Re: Is Anyone Using Logic Professionally?

John Powell

...not exactly be a hobbyist :-)

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    John Powell

True, but to be fair, as a composer, he isn't mixing his scores in Logic, etc...I'm talking about using Logic as a complete one stop from composing (which I know it helps one do easily) to mixing (which I'm not as certain of)....

Tom
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    John Powell

Funny you should mention him. I just went to a Society of Motion Pictures event in which he showed us a cue he wrote in Logic on his laptop! I don't know how he is able to run so much off a laptop! AMAZING!!

Anyway, logicprohelp.com has put together an extensive list of professionals who use Logic. Here it is: http://www.logicprohelp.com/vip_users.php

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    Funny you should mention him. I just went to a Society of Motion Pictures event in which he showed us a cue he wrote in Logic on his laptop! I don't know how he is able to run so much off a laptop! AMAZING!!

Anyway, logicprohelp.com has put together an extensive list of professionals who use Logic. Here it is: http://www.logicprohelp.com/vip_users.php
    I was there as well.

Jeff Rona and David Newman uses Logic as well. On most major films they usually don't mix their own scores.

Mark Isham used Logic for his score to Crash all the through (mixed, recorded, ect).

Mychael Danna uses Logic and uses it in the field to record ethnic instruments in their native countries.

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon

Not to mention Mark Isham said he did Crash on a G3! Talk about low budget!
    Funny how we all see each other, but not really.

I was there too! I only went to the second one, which had the coolest guys.

Mark Isham & Mychael Danna were my favorite!
    Did anyone go to the third???
    I couldn't make it... Was it any good?

I've been using Logic professionally for a few years now. Everything's done in-house, as it were. You'll love Logic 8 Tom. It's a monster of a DAW!

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Harvey
    I've been using Logic professionally for a few years now. Everything's done in-house, as it were.

Nick
    Hey Nick - been buying and selling houses. Been around several blocks. Ha!

I use Logic for mostly orchestrating purposes these days. Great piece of kit - makes one very lazy though. My violin tutor hates all this stuff. When you consider his 2 violins cost way more than most professional studios - I'm not surprised.

I know several other composers that use logic professionally too, from various forums, though I can't remember their forum name on this board so can't say without giving their real name and that is not for me to do so.

I am just starting as a composer myself and chose logic without hesitation. I will be releasing a second album created with Logic sometime in the next few months.

Simon
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

Hi Tom
    I too have been wondering if its time to go back to Native. However I use Logic as a front end to my HD3 rig. I also do a range of stuff from pop songs to big orchestral stuff so I want to keep everything as versatile as possible.
    There's no doubt to me that Logic is the best for composing ( I just got L8 too) and now its seems a lot better. But stuff that the DAE side makes easier for me - tracking vocals with low latency etc. Its just very solid ( and sounds better to me, but that subjective)
    I was considering using a pro book stuffed with ram as my writing rig and adat that into the PT rig running PT as a mixer/ tracker .

I was hoping this will give me the reliability / and flexibility of both - I also like the idea of being able to take the laptop around for writing - then come back to the studio, plug in and mix in PT with all the fancy plug ins without all hassle off having to convert environments and deal with ESB.

However running 2 rigs isn't ideal either, so I would prefer all in one solution - just not sure if its there yet with Logic alone. Most of the big film guys still seem to final mix in PT unless I'm missing something.

Anyway - just thoughts -

Will

Go Back to forum