Share/Bookmark

The Last Kiss of Summer

http://www.box.net/shared/dm1jkrmbp4

Gpo Harp Lite (with delay)
    Gpo Full Strings KS
    Logic Hollywood Strings
    Logic's Pad called "Green Tea"
    Logic Express 7

I'm posting here instead of listening room, because this mp3 is a recording of what is still basically just the foundation midi, same midi file applied to those four instruments. I plan to split into parts to orchestrate it with GPO and Jabb, as well as change the last minute or more to add a build, climax and a timpani roll, and will probably change what the chords do around where the Bb comes in... and various tweaking notes and other stuff.

The feel i'm trying to get isn't quite as sad as it is in this rendition, but i thought this with the guitar part changed to Harp sounds kinda interesting.

The main reason i'm posting is well it's the end of summer and it's not close to being done, trying to get to last leg of learning curve and have some questions. Sorry if these are dumb questions or if post too long.

I made the midi on a Yamaha DGX-205 Keyboard with right hand set on Slow Strings and Left hand set on auto-accompaniment, so i would have all the chord notes, and then I changed the chord pattern some to try to make it sound less repetitive and to make it sound better for guitar (or harp).

Either the auto-accomaniment or the slow strings has apparently put some things in the midi that makes it pulse or swell, i don't really know the proper musical word for it but you can hear it to see what i mean. It doesn't sound that way when you are playing it on the keyboard. The pulsing was overwhelming the bass, making the speakers rattle, so i had to eq out most of the bass.

I need some copies of the midi without that, but retaining other stuff like the note velocities and sustains. And on some i would want to keep some of the pulsing but much less than what it is giving, and would be nice to be able to control that, or maybe even have it to insert in some other piece.

Logic has an event list that has all the notes with their velocities, and between those lines are "control", the number of that control, and the value. It has a lot of 11's which i think are note velocities.

I let it scroll while the music played and with every pulse there was a set of two or three EQ events. I erased those to see what would happen and it reduced it some but didn't eliminate it.

Is this "control," on the event list, the same as "cc" everyone talks about? (i don't know much about cc because i have been spending all my time learning Finale and how to sort of read music)

Is there a standard list of what number controls what, if you didn't set it yourself to control something else?
    Or is some on this list ones that Yamaha has set to a certain function?

Is there some other way to lose that pulse or swell without editing or erasing lines on the event list?

If not which lines do i erase to take it out?

In Finale, does the human playback replace all of the cc's removing all of the pre-existing cc's?

Under this post i'll make a separate post with a paste of the event list.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer. Any other comments or sugestions also welcome.

David

Re: The Last Kiss of Summer

Well, i guess you can't copy and paste it, i''l try to get a screenshot of it.

Here is screenshots of the top of the events list, the middle, and bottom:

http://www.box.net/shared/aicn1hc6u8

http://www.box.net/shared/ecy62cq75d

http://www.box.net/shared/pp102s0pyy

There is one more question, i forgot to ask.
    At 2:50, i fumbled while making a chord change and it put a set of very short duration notes. Sounds like a loud low note in this recording when harp is loaded,

but earlier when i had Logic's Nylon Guitar loaded instead of Harp, it sounded across all the notes some errant chord like D7 or something, and sounded surprisingly similar (but not exactly) to that squeak you sometimes get on some chord changes when playing a real guitar.

I'm going to take those out, but i'm going to first save those two measures on a separate file for using another place. I would like to get a sample of a chord change sqweak to put on a track to barely sound in between some change that would more likely be producing a sqweak than that place, in a final version that may include both harp and guitar, or some other project.

Does anyone know where i can get a sample of a chord change sqweak?

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Does anyone know where i can get a sample of a chord change sqweak?
    I'm guessing you mean fret noise. Usually this is 'included' with guitar samples and I think it's part of the GM midi set as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tmonaghan
    I'm guessing you mean fret noise. Usually this is 'included' with guitar samples and I think it's part of the GM midi set as well.
    Oh i didn't know it was already included, that would explain why it sounded like "fret noise" when i missed the change but then quickly found it.
    Thanks!

Go Back to forum