• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Jonny Rocket and his Amazing Technicolor Brass Band- Performing Proud Mary

Share/Bookmark

Jonny Rocket and his Amazing Technicolor Brass Band- Performing Proud Mary

Hi all...

Well, I've been in one of my "fun" moods lately, as you can tell by the title, which I thought fit perfectly. The composition, of course, isn't an original, but, the arrangment is. I tried to rework the original using both the CCR and Tina Tuner versions as a template to create the different brass sections and sound I was aiming for. I wanted something with "punch" and I've always liked this song.

I haven't had much opportunity to work with the brass on an extensive basis until now. So, that being said, I'm sure there are some minor discrepencies since I don't play any brass instruments. Anyway, I had alot of fun working with this one and I hope you have as much fun listening to it.

GPO

Steinway B
    Basses
    Viola's
    Muted Trumpet
    Trombones
    French Horns

EWQL

French Horns
    Solo Trumpet
    Trombones
    Trumpets

Yellow Tools

Drum Kit

Sequencer

Fruity Loops

Final Mixdown

Reaper

Jaker "Shaver"

BTW, for some reason, I'm not able to upload any files to my Soundclick page so, for now, I'm using Box.net Here is the link:

http://www.box.net/shared/rjixzy0bzq
    "A wrong note played timidly, is still a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority, is improvisation."

Re: Jonny Rocket and his Amazing Technicolor Brass Band- Performing Proud Mary

Glenn Miller meets CCR. Great fun! I like it. (What's next, the London Philharmonic plays Guns and Roses, or the Academy of St. Martin in the Field plays NIN?

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

There's a strange muffly brass sound. I can't reallyput my finger on what it is exactly. I think it's a french horn.

I enjoy the concept.

Strings in real life would wanna burn your piece when they finished playing it. Although I enjoy listening, string players would be so bored playing. LOL.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Keep on Rollin'!!!

Interesting take on a classic. Just for my taste, in some spots I would have liked the lower brass to have come out with more authority. But this is great as is.

Well Done

Ron

Great!!! As said before, a bit more lower brass. I played it fo the second time and still love it. The second part is the best in my opinion.

Raymond

Shaver,

Nice presentation of this classic piece. Lots of energy showing through. Certainly not a work to let the dust collect in the speakers.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Shaver, Beautiful horns!

I have to be perfectly honest here, Proud Mary has always been my most hated song, and they played it like a zillion times. Can't think of any song that is worse, but maybe macarena... ok maybe Proud Mary would be more like 30th on the list, suddenly many stale 70s songs are surfacing on my frontal lobe.

But i have to say you have probably made Mary very proud with this rendition, i like it and i think if it had sounded like this it could not have made on to my undesired list. I think Jonny Rocket and his Amazing Technicolor Brass Band should maybe do an album.

Listening to it for the fourh time and enjoying it, Proud Mary four times in a row

David

This is Fantastic, Shaver!

Great arrangement and equally great performance with your chosen instruments. Dang I love it when the LR rocks out once in awhile.

In the mellow opening part, I was getting distracted by the constant brassy ringing, like the GPO Overlay sounds being used too constantly - but they aren't on your list. Maybe that's the sound of the EWQL brass?--Too constantly metallic sounding to my ears.

But the second half - Just great! - YOu need to get JABB, my friend - The screaming Trumpet bits would be even more powerful.

Really superb work!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi all,

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback and I'm really glad you had as much fun listening to this as I did arranging it.

rolifer, Raymond62-
    You stated, "Just for my taste, in some spots I would have liked the lower brass to have come out with more authority." Humm...I didn't think of that when I was arranging it but it is a good idea now that you both mention it. I think it would make a bigger impact on the lower brass.

Leaf,
    First of all...LOL! I really hadn't anticipated this particular song making anyones most undesired list but I feel your pain...lol! I think my most "undesired" song would have to be Led Zepplin's Stairway to heaven! You stated, "Listening to it for the fourh time and enjoying it, Proud Mary four times in a row" Wow, four times?! I'm glad that this particular rendition shed a new light on a burned out classic! You also stated, "I think Jonny Rocket and his Amazing Technicolor Brass Band should maybe do an album." Hummm...you think so? Well, I'm open to that, just wondering what selections would be good to feature on the album? Anyone have any good songs or suggestions, they might like to hear on this album if I decide to undertake it?

rbowser-,
    You stated, "In the mellow opening part, I was getting distracted by the constant brassy ringing, like the GPO Overlay sounds being used too constantly - but they aren't on your list. Maybe that's the sound of the EWQL brass?--Too constantly metallic sounding to my ears." No, I didn't use any GPO overlays Randy. I suppose the metallic sound comes from EWQL. I didn't find that a distraction during my mixdown but maybe my EQ setting might be a little too bright? I'll check into that, thanks for the keen ear.

Jaker "Shaver"
    "A wrong note played timidly, is still a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority, is improvisation."

Quote Originally Posted by shaver
    You also stated, "I think Jonny Rocket and his Amazing Technicolor Brass Band should maybe do an album." Hummm...you think so? Well, I'm open to that, just wondering what selections would be good to feature on the album? Anyone have any good songs or suggestions, they might like to hear on this album if I decide to undertake it?

Jaker, my requests would be:

Doobie Brothers - Long Train Running
    Pink Floid - Have a Cigar (or one of their others)
    Duran Duran - View to a Kill

David

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast