• Register
  • Help

Topic: The death of dynamics??

The death of dynamics??

Read this article. Maybe useful as "all" music seems so loud today.

Re: The death of dynamics??

A great article. Well worth reading. Thanks Raymond!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Great article Raymond!

I'll post it on some other websites.

Best, John
    Stop analyzing; just compose the damn thing!

I have seen this referred to in many places but never in such stark reality as this demonstration.

Thanks guys,

...and now, use this knowledge to make a CD sounding like you are in a concert hall..... (almost impossible without the proper plugins).

This actually is a really big concern that not many people think about. Thank you for the article, it was well written. I hope as many people as possible reads this!

Here's an interesting video on the subject:

I've been aware of this ever since I began learning more about audio production this year, in order to help with my compositional work. I finally realised why it was that I could not listen to more than two songs from an album I have. As soon as I loaded the tracks into CoolEdit, I saw the tell-tale "test tone" rectangular waveforms that had been assaulting my ears.

Someone needs to start a serious campaign about this...

Great video. Thanks.....

Old news guys. It's been awful for at least 10 years now.

It's not going to stop.

One doesn't need to be remarkably intelligent to know where the problem is...big companies trying to earn big bucks...at the cost of our ears. They are well aware of the problem and they're not solving it because they don't want to...I pity them...someday no one will buy pop music cd's because of this.

The technical name for this is 'saturation level': electronic components in our hardwares can only take a certain amount of signal level before they saturate. that is Electronics 101 and all sound technicians know about this. Even an amateur knows this...When I did some piano recordings in my home studio some ears ago, I took about an hour to understand that I had to keep the original signal at about 60% level in order not to clip it after doing some boosts. And I was only working with piano music back then.

If the signals come with a high level at starts (say 90%) they start clipping even with a minor boost or sound effect...and clipping IS NOT music! IT IS NOISE!!!

But, my answer to the question raised by this thread is that dynamics are not dead, at least not in classical music and soundtracks recordings. In pop rock music recordings, there isn't much space for details in acoustic effects, because everyone is concerned about hearing lyrics and tunes, so dynamics are not that important, and the music gets compressed as in radio broadcast. On the other hand, in classical music and soundtracks, acoustic effects are of the most extreme importance and every dynamical nuance counts for the music's aesthetics. So, when mastering these recordings little or no compression is used and dynamical levels are preserved to their original form. But then no one says that classical music rocks...because it's too quiet for the pop rock music listeners!

Best regards.

Go Back to forum