• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Bach - Fugue in Eb Maj. (St. Anne's) CMB Wind Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Bach - Fugue in Eb Maj. (St. Anne's) CMB Wind Orchestra

The Bach "Fugue in Eb Major", also know as St. Anne's Fugue, represents the pinnical of his organ composition skills. This triple fugue in five voices is built on the first 7 notes of the Croft hymn tune "O God Our Help In Ages Past". First the theme is stated in a wonderful choral setting, then as a variation in a flowing fantasia and finally in a magnificent gigue with the themes stated and restated as a never ending cascade to a glorious ending.

I transcribed this setting of the fugue for wind orchestra a few year ago and originally posted here using GPO instruments. Here I am reposting it using the CMB instruments as rendered with Finale 2006. My instrument selection is similar to a wind orchestra as scored.

Flute Group Solo 1 KS
    Flute Group Solo 2 KS
    Oboe Solo 1
    Oboe Solo 2
    Bb Clarinet Group Solo 1 KS
    Bb Clarinet Group Solo 2 KS
    Bb Clarinet Group Solo 3 KS
    Eb Alto Clarinet Solo 1
    Bass Clarinet Solo 1
    Bassoon Solo 1
    Alto Sax Group Solo 1 KS
    Alto Sax Group Solo 2 KS
    Tenor Sax Group 1
    Baritone Sax Group 1
    French Horn Group Solo 1 KSM
    French Horn Group Solo 2 KSM
    French Horn Group Solo 3 KSM
    Trumpet Group Solo 1 KSM
    Trumpet Group Solo 2 KSM
    Trumpet Group Solo 3 KSM
    Trombone Group Solo 1 KSM
    Trombone Group Solo 2 KSM
    Bass Trombone Solo 1 KSM
    Baritone Group Solo 1 KSM
    Tuba Group Solo 1 KSM
    String Bass

www.garybricault.com/mp3/Fugue%20BWV552.mp3

One thing you may have noticed when you hear this is that each instrument or instrument group will come into their own optimum playing range at different points in the music. Thus providing a continuously different feel and texture as the work progresses. I find with Bach, each time I hear a work, I hear it slightly different each time.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Bach - Fugue in Eb Maj. (St. Anne's) CMB Wind Orchestra

I want CaMB so so so friggin badly. This is beautiful, and the brass is so much more "bandy" than in GPO. I love that there are saxphones, too. This is a beautiful piece. I love Bach, and especially the St. Anne's. Great brass workings in this. I absolutely love it. The only thing I could use is maybe a broader dynamic range. I'm not sure where your tubas are set. Are they off to the right or in the center. Either one works, I'd say off to the right is more common.

Absolutely brilliant structure in this, and overall beautifully rendered.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Quote Originally Posted by tubajedimr
    I want CaMB so so so friggin badly. This is beautiful, and the brass is so much more "bandy" than in GPO. I love that there are saxphones, too. This is a beautiful piece. I love Bach, and especially the St. Anne's. Great brass workings in this. I absolutely love it. The only thing I could use is maybe a broader dynamic range. I'm not sure where your tubas are set. Are they off to the right or in the center. Either one works, I'd say off to the right is more common.

Absolutely brilliant structure in this, and overall beautifully rendered.
    I agree that the CMB brass is more of a band sounds vs the GPO orchestral sound. The performance intent of the work is of course symphonic band or wind orchestra so the CMB provides that more natural sound given the target performing medium. I chose the group-solo instruments to keep the performing ensemble as small and intimate as possible. The St. Anne's outshines all of the other fugues in my opinion and is the least performed of them all as an organ recital piece. Not for the least that it is one of the most difficult as well.

I am glad that you enjoyed it. It is a wonderful work to begin with. And the challange of transcribing it is well worth the final outcome!!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

This is not my favorite Fugue by Bach, but you did a great job of presenting it. How he had the time to compose with all the kids he had is beyond me. But then so is his talent.
    Well Done.
    Ron

Thumbs up Re: Bach - Fugue in Eb Maj. (St. Anne's) CMB Wind Orchestra

That sounds awesome Gary. You are having fun with CBM, no doubt. They need to make a church organ with this ensemble of CBM loaded like you have it sounding here.

The recording sounds great, is this straight from Finale to an mp3, or did it pass through some daw like sonar or something to record?

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    This is not my favorite Fugue by Bach, but you did a great job of presenting it. How he had the time to compose with all the kids he had is beyond me. But then so is his talent.
    Well Done.
    Ron
    Ron,

Glad you enjoyed it even though it is not your favorite. Thanks for stopping by.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    That sounds awesome Gary. You are having fun with CBM, no doubt. They need to make a church organ with this ensemble of CBM loaded like you have it sounding here.

The recording sounds great, is this straight from Finale to an mp3, or did it pass through some daw like sonar or something to record?
    Yes having lots of fun converting some of the band pieces to CMB and comparing them to the GPO versions. A fine symphonc band/wind orchestra can have a very organ-like sound when everyone is in tune and plays with precise intonation.

The sound is produced directly from Finale via CMB to a WAV file and then converted directly to an mp3 file with no intermediate processing to enhance the sound. I do use the Garritan Ambiance within Finale set fairly low key, just for a nice fullness but not too much as to loose the overall clarity.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

A great transcription of this fugue. In my opinion it retains a very organ like feel to it.
    Trent P. McDonald

Wonderful! Lacking strings it has a very organ-like texture to it. Bach himself would have approved of this interpretation, I'm sure.

Well done.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Gee's gary, this is absolutely terrific. The cmb sounds fantastic. A very nice job of rendering. I really am glad that you posted this.
    -jay

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast