• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Macbook Pro/GPO issue...HELP!

Share/Bookmark

New Macbook Pro/GPO issue...HELP!

Morning/Evening Everyone. I know this isnt really the correct place for technical help, but this is where most people look so I'll post here anyway, and the thread can be moved if really necessary....

Ive just bought a macbook pro (2.2Ghz 4Gb Ram) and installed GPO on it (with KP1) I wont be able to get online with it for a while to update the player tho. My issue is with the new Logic Pro 8 Studio (or whatever its called). How do I get GPO to appear as an instrument in it? Im a complete newbie with macs so any help would be greatly appreciated. Its all installed and running as a standalone fine. (tho i have to have a pretty big latency to stop things glitching...)

Also does anyone know how to get multiple CC editor panes up in the piano roll window? thats something i loved in cubaseSX....

Thanks in advance.

BEn

Smile Re: New Macbook Pro/GPO issue...HELP!

Good Morning Ben.

I followed these instructions for Logic 7 in the Garritan Wiki and it worked for LogicExpress7. They don't have any pages yet for Logic 8, but it is probably the same.
    http://garritan.info/index.php/Logic_7

The way it tells you to delete all the tracks but one is just for that first example file, after making that quick example file to load AU instruments or Kontakt2, GPO, etc., you don't really ever have to delete the other tracks.

Where it says this:
    4. Now it's time to open the GPO Audio Unit plug-in. In the arrange window's channel strip, click on the slot just below where it says "I/O." In the pop up menu select "stereo>AU instruments>Native Instruments>Garritan Personal Orchestra."
    it's better to choose Kontakt Player 2, because at the top of that page it says Player 1 doesn't work on intel macs.
    Player 2 is better anyway even if you don't have intel mac, you'll like player 2.
    After you choose Kontakt Player2, then you can choose the GPO intrumnent from that... or JABB or anything else you have in it.

I don't know how to get multiple CC editor panes, even though i have had this software for a long time, im just now getting started learning how to use it because i was learning Finale first.

David

Re: New Macbook Pro/GPO issue...HELP!

i have a macbook pro and logic 8, and the advice given so far is good. the only other thing that i can say is that in the kontakt player you have to do something weird (only in logic 8) - after you click on the drop-down menu you will see the instrument menus (Percussion, strings, etc.), you can to click and hold on the menu for like a second then release for it to open the next menu. other than that everything works fine.

p.s. make sure you try out space designer, its absolutely incredible.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Hi guys, thanks for your advice....however my problem is that i cant even see GPO in Logic 8. Its not there as an instrument or anything... Where do I have to put the files in my mac? (on my pc i just put the ddl in the plugin folder and viola!)

Ben

you won't see it as an instrument. first off, make sure you rescan for audio units (Logic Pro >> Audio Units Manager). make sure that when it shows you your audio units you see kontakt 2 player down there somewhere, if you don't then you need to install it in the right place. if you do see it then follow the advice of leaf : click on the empty box right below "I/O" (bottom leftish area) and select the following: AU Instruments >> Native Instruments >> KotaktPlayer2 >> Stereo. that will open up a Kontakt Player and thats where you select your instruments.

it sounds like you're going to the settings box or the inserts box and trying to find them, so make sure you do it under the "I/O". hope that helps.
    -Keith Fuller

---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Hi Keith, Ive tried what you suggested, but Logic Pro doesnt find it when i do a rescan for AU. I only have he 20 or so instruments that it comes with. What folder should the gpo be installed to? I just ran the GPO installation, thinking that, like all things, mac, it would just work...how silly of me....

the only thing i can suggest is by uninstalling it all and redo it following the directions in your gpo manual. thats what i did and it worked fine, and you are the first case i've heard of on the site thats had trouble with it on a mac. you might even want to call gary (the number is in your manual), i'm sure he'd be the best person to ask - i'm not really a tech guy. good luck though, and let us know how it ends up.
    -Keith Fuller

---

Ok thanks Keith, I finally managed to get it working by hunting down an internet connection and just updating to KP2, which I really should have done before hassling people on here....so thanks. Just a one more quick question for logic, how do I route multiple midi tracks to one instance of KP2? I see no such options...

Thanks for your time

Ben

good question. it was easy in logic express, but i can't seem to figure it out in LP8. before you just changed the instrument number to whatever kontakt player you wanted in the channel strip, now its greyed out, and doesn't let you change it.

one way that i think you can do it is by clicking on the track that has the player that you want to use and click that + sign with the boxes behind it then it will open a carbon copy of your track, then you can change the midi #. while this works it doesn't allow you to change it after you created it, there has to be a way though, i just haven't had the time to figure it out.
    -Keith Fuller

---

ok, thanks for your help keith. Let me know when you come up with a tiptop solution! thanks for all your help!

Go Back to forum