• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Careful What You Wish For

Share/Bookmark

Careful What You Wish For

For those of you who suggested I expand my prelude in c# minor, careful what you wish for.

I started out with the idea of using the prelude as the first theme of a first movement of a sonata. I later expanded it and thought of it as a one-movement sonata. Then it took a life of its own. I can still make a strong argument in favor of this being in sonata form, just don’t expect a classical sense of proportion or balance.

When I was almost finished I thought it still sounded a lot like a prelude so I started writing a fugue to go with it. Unfortunately after I wrote the subject and the counterpoint for the first three entrees (well, second two as the first sounds alone) the file got corrupt and I can’t open it.

Anyway, I still haven’t decided how I will use it: is it the first movement of a sonata? A short one-movement sonata? A prelude for a fugue that I will write? A stand-alone composition with a programic title like “Paris’ Homeward Voyage”? A stand-alone composition with an esoteric title like “Careful What You Wish For”? At this point I have no plans whatsoever of using it to replace the current prelude in my series.

Let me know what you think: Prelude to a sonata in c# minor
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: Careful What You Wish For

Very nice. I don't have the formal training to say anything "academic" about the piece, so I'll have to confine my remarks to my "gut feelings". I liked the way it progressed. There was enough novelty to keep me interested and enough consistency to keep me well grounded in what was going on. if felt well balanced, and I enjoyed it.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

I don't know what you will end up calling this, but it sounds very nice. I enjoyed listening to it. The transition was also nice.
    -Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    Well I haven't been in the listening room for a while, but I really like this work. It's tonal, but with a wonderful contemporary touch to it. To me it sounds like Chopin writing a baroque work in the 21st century. I didn't do a hard listen (was checking emails and all), but it came accross during a surface listen almost like a theme and variations. But I don't care what you call it, I really enjoyed it. Actually I'd love to get the score and play this work myself. I think it's very well composed and is also a very pianistic composition.

Congrats (and I'm serious about wanting a copy)

Tom
    Hi Tom,

You pretty much hit it on the head – I’m currently studying early to mid-Romantic music, so far hitting Chopin the hardest. As a sort of composition lab to apply what I’ve learned I have been writing a series of Preludes. I don’t want to feel constrained with staying totally in a Romantic style, so I have often been “modernizing” these preludes. Here is a link to the last thread I posted on them –
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=56032

The last prelude I wrote, in c# minor, was based on an idea I got from looking at the prelude of the c# minor fugue in the first book of Bach’s WTC. Anyway, so I filtered it through what I learned from Chopin and tried for a more contemporary feel. So "sounds like Chopin writing a baroque work in the 21st century" is what I was aiming for.

I can see it as a set of variations. As far as sonata form goes, I was thinking of the slow part in 3 as the second theme. This theme is first heard in E (relative major) and later in c# (tonic major). I put a big cadence in E before moving on the little “development” section before getting back to a short stint in c# minor and then onto c# major.

I have to brush up the score a little and then I’ll post it. Actually, I’d like somebody to look at it: I put a few “impossible” parts in knowing that a good pianist can make these work if not too extreme. I’m wondering if I went to far in these places. More details when I post the score…

Thanks for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by fiziwig
    Very nice. I don't have the formal training to say anything "academic" about the piece, so I'll have to confine my remarks to my "gut feelings". I liked the way it progressed. There was enough novelty to keep me interested and enough consistency to keep me well grounded in what was going on. if felt well balanced, and I enjoyed it.

--gary shannon
    I tend to talk too much about what went into a piece when I post stuff but you don't have to follow suite - "gut feeling" is great. Thanks for taking the time to listen and for your nice comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    I don't know what you will end up calling this, but it sounds very nice. I enjoyed listening to it. The transition was also nice.
    -Jay
    Thanks Jay. Glad you liked it.
    Trent P. McDonald

Trent,

Very nice composition regardless of how it is titled. You have a nice style and the musical interpretation is no less so. The piano is very believable and it would have fooled me if I did not know it was GPO based.

Thanks.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hi Gary. Thanks for the kind words. I try to spend as much time as possible going through the midi file to get as believable performance as I can. Not perfect, but I do love the sound of the GPO piano.

Thanks again for listening and commenting.
    Trent P. McDonald

I agree with those above. This sounds very realistic, and is a enjoyable piece.

Ron

Hi, Trent

I'm at a loss to offer suggestions for how this new piece can work into the scheme of your current work.

But I'm not at a loss for these simple words in reaction to hearing it - It's my favorite of everything I've heard from you. Talk about contrasts!--wow--As I listen to this piece it Really keeps me on my toes, not knowing what to expect, and I love every surprising new turn.

Congratulations to you on this exciting piece!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast