• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Images of Bude goes ok

Share/Bookmark

Images of Bude goes ok

Hi everyone. The Bude Concert Orchestra gave my orchestral suite 'Images of Bude' its premier performance last Saturday. This could not have happened without Finale and GPO - or the encouragement and help I've received from the Listening Room. So, a BIG thanks to Gary and all who've helped me here.

It was an eerie experience hearing something I'd crafted with GPO come to life. The performance wasn't perfect (and I'm sure they won't mind me saying that). Both the percussion and brass sections were a little light on the evening possibly because the concert clashed with a few other events in the town that may have diverted some of the resource. So the balance and colour was not quite as expected. But that said, I'm more than happy with the result. There was a good turn out and I think my contribution contrasted well with the rest of the program that included the Shumann Piano Concerto in A min, Symphony No 36 by Mozart and Beethoven's Egmont Overture.

I have a few photos but have to admit I haven't quite worked out how to post these. Unfortunately, the concert wasn't recorded - but hopefully next time...

Regards,

Graham

Re: Images of Bude goes ok

Hi Graham,

Congrats on the premier of “Images of Brude”. Sorry there were some problems because of missing instrumentalists, but glad it went well other wise. Hopefully another concert of this is in store, this time with a recording.
    Trent P. McDonald

Congratulations, Graham!

What a thrill to hear your work performed! Did you get to coach the orchestra at all? That's another great part of the experience...and it really forces you to come to grips with communication of intent.

All the best to your future endeavours...
    Brad Pearson
    THG Music
    Spokane WA

MacBook Pro (2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo), 3 gig RAM, OS 10.6.5, Finale 2011b, GPO4 & CMB2

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Hi Graham,

Congrats on the premier of “Images of Brude”. Sorry there were some problems because of missing instrumentalists, but glad it went well other wise. Hopefully another concert of this is in store, this time with a recording.

Thanks Trent. I wanted to record it so that I could post a snippet for comparison purposes but I left it too late to get the equipment together. Next time..

G

Quote Originally Posted by thgmusic
    Congratulations, Graham!

What a thrill to hear your work performed! Did you get to coach the orchestra at all? That's another great part of the experience...and it really forces you to come to grips with communication of intent.

All the best to your future endeavours...

Thanks Brad. If I get another chance, I will definitely factor in some time with the orchestra before hand because I think this would have been very helpful for both the performers and myself. Family matters prevented on this occasion - and to be truthful, I would probably have found that quite daunting, especially if they started to get 'all technical'. But, I agree, it would have been a useful experience.

G

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch
    I left it too late to get the equipment together. Next time..

G
    And let's hope there is a next time! Sorry it was just "ok" - one day you will be able to compare performances, and discuss the one(s) you like the best.

Onward. And upward, eh?

Congratulations on having Bude performed.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Graham, first of all, congratulations on the performance.

But I am also sorry it only went "OK". It is always such a shame when a new work does not get the attention it so rightfully deserves.

Congrats Graham on the performance of the Bude. It must be an awesome experience to see your work performed. I hope the next time they do you a full set of great players.

Some ways to post pics are:

Photobucket.com has free accounts. You copy and paste the img address and type img tags onto it. Type img enclosed in brackets [ ] in front of the address, and type /img enclosed in brackets [ ] after the address.

You can also get a free hosting account at box.net, which some people here use to post mp3's, you can also post pics from there, but there is a limit on the free account.

David

Thanks Ron and Michel, I think part of my initial emotions stemmed from the fact that with Finale and GPO, you create (as near as possible) what you hope is a perfect performance. And in the flesh, for whatever reason, it will sound different - for better or worse. For the uninitiated like myself, that can come as a bit of a surprise. A live performance is a totally different experience and I'm encouraged by the exciting possibilties that affords. It went well and I'm pleased with the reception it received. What I will take forward from this though, is to think 'live' when I'm working with GPO and Finale - and to perhaps be more aware of how different balance and interpretation might affect a real performance.

Thanks for your support.

Regards, Graham

Great to hear all went well, Graham!

My friend, you often -- usually! -- get some degree of
    cognitive dissonance with a first live performance. No
    two conductors, no two orchestras, will approach a piece
    quite the same way, for one thing; nor are they apt to
    fall quite in line with the interpretation you have embedded
    in your mind from months of working with a piece. As you
    step back from this, you'll likely find that the performance
    was quite good; merely somewhat different from your
    view of the piece and your expectations.

And now -- on to the next one!

Congratulations, once again, Graham.

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum