• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Topic: OT: Composing to Picture

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    OT: Composing to Picture

    What video formats do you use for importing video into Cubase/Logic?
    Is a heavy compressing better, because the filesize is reduced?
    Or is working with just slightly compressed formats better, because there is less CPU load?

    What are your alternatives to importing files into your sequencer?
    rothermusic.de

  2. #2

    Re: OT: Composing to Picture

    I re-render everything I get into quicktime mov files using a Photo Jpeg codec, 320 x 240 at 50% quality. Cubase/Nuendo seems to handle it well, I get good CPU performance (~10%) and manageable file size.



    Dave Cebrowski
    DCWAVE Productions
    www.dcwave.com

  3. #3

    Re: OT: Composing to Picture

    http://www.humatic.de/htools/ChainGang.htm
    No need to import, has lots of zero frames, so you can use one video file for all cues. Gem.

  4. #4

    Re: OT: Composing to Picture

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Head
    http://www.humatic.de/htools/ChainGang.htm
    No need to import, has lots of zero frames, so you can use one video file for all cues. Gem.
    WOW! This looks interesting!! How do you personally use it?

    bTW, I personally use photo jpg as well (seems the best on resources) but I've been looking to find a cheep / easy way to offload the movie. Perhaps this chaingang is the answer!!

  5. #5

    Re: OT: Composing to Picture

    No, don't compress. Use the most uncompressed format you can get. If its compressed, then more CPU is requiered during playback to decompress it. Of course uncompressed takes a lot more disk space, but disk space is not the problem these days. Get it as uncompressed as you can. If they give you a compressed one, then re-encode with less or zero compression. the less compression, the better.

    Once its uncompressed, it takes very little system resources to have it function as a window within your DAW...and its very convenient to work that way.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

  6. #6

    Re: OT: Composing to Picture

    Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    WOW! This looks interesting!! How do you personally use it?

    bTW, I personally use photo jpg as well (seems the best on resources) but I've been looking to find a cheep / easy way to offload the movie. Perhaps this chaingang is the answer!!
    It works fine on the same DAW computer as well as on separate comp via MOL (midi over lan) and you can use any format QT supports.

  7. #7

    Re: OT: Composing to Picture

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Head
    It works fine on the same DAW computer as well as on separate comp via MOL (midi over lan) and you can use any format QT supports.

    Why would you want it on the same DAW as the computer? Isn't the point to offload the CPU it takes to play the movie?

  8. #8

    Re: OT: Composing to Picture

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Head
    It works fine on the same DAW computer as well as on separate comp via MOL (midi over lan)
    ... or even a physical midi cable if you happen to have two spare midi interfaces.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

  9. #9

    Re: OT: Composing to Picture

    Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    Why would you want it on the same DAW as the computer? Isn't the point to offload the CPU it takes to play the movie?
    I mean you can use it that way if you don't have dedicated computer.
    I'm using it over LAN.

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •