• Register
  • Help

Topic: GVI for Mac, a rip?

GVI for Mac, a rip?

Apologies in advance to the forum users for this rant.
    But no apologies to TASCAM for what seems like a clear "rip". Here goes...

Back last summer when TASCAM introduced GVI, it was offered to GS3 (Orch) users at a great introductory price of $75. Problem was, that was a *PC only* version of GVI. There were many promises of a Mac version of GVI to come.
    Over the past year, there have been many "sightings" of GVO for Mac at tradeshows, but still, we Mac users waited...and waited.

Now, with GVI4, it appears we *finally* have the GVI for Mac that we've waited for, for months and months. Problem is, the cost.

As I said, GVI/PC for GS3 was $75. But GVI4 (for Mac & PC) is a $199 upgrade from GS3. But a GVI/PC (they call it GVI3) upgrade is just $99. So, if I had purchased GVI/PC for $75 - and let it sit on the shelf for a year - and now upgrade to GVI4 ($99), my total investment would be $174.

So, o.k., maybe TASCAM's thinking is that there's a lot of library and/or new features in GVI4 and tough luck to the Mac users who've waited and waited. But even if they won't offer us Mac users the originally promised $75 GVI, they could at least offer us the $99 GVI....or even the $174 GVI? To hit us with the $199 entry to a GVI that will run on Mac is just a plain rip.

As for myself - and having no idea of when the long-awaited GVI for Mac was going to surface - I've recently gotten in to Kontakt and have had pretty good results translating my Giga libraries from Giga to Kontakt. I would love try out the long, awaited GVI for Mac (GVI4), but there's a gut feeling that we Mac guys have been neglected and/or just plain ripped off with this offer. *If* I'm successful with the Kontakt conversions, I'll be selling my Giga PC, transferring my GS3 Orch ownership and operating on my Mac with Kontakt running my (45) Giga libraries. Can't see how TASCAM comes out the winner in that scenario....

b myers, composer
    Mac G5 DP 2.3, Os 10.4.11, 4 Gig RAM running DigiPerf 5.13, PTools LE 7.4, Sibelius 5, Finale 2008,
    P4 1.7 Gig, XP SP2, 2 Gig RAM,running GigaStudio 3.2,
    3 x 20" LCDs, 2 x MOTU MTP AVs, Digi 002r
    Kurz K2000r, Roland XV-3080, Emu Pro II, Kurz PC2r, Alesis DM-Pro, Kurz Midiboard

Re: GVI for Mac, a rip?

That's too bad.

They figured the Pro Tools guys who hammered them for years for a Mac version could afford the enourmous upgrade price.

Porting over code to another O.S. is a serious chore. I use DSP apps myself and having Vista drivers is no big deal, but they are currently stepping up to different DSP chips that are designed to run on 64bit w/ PCI-e cards next year, hopefully. Any of these chores cause some serious downtime.

Since you have converted all of your libraries, you are good to go. Just don't play live with Kontackt. You'll be staring at your LCD's instead of jamming.

I got the shaft also. I have been with giga since Nemesys, and have begged for content since Scarbee and many of my favorites had left for the VSTi / K2 market. So after waiting and getting stroked I decided to buy K2 and some content. Big mistake. That dog don't hunt. I just recently got the bugs fixed. Just in time to find out about the new apps for Giga Guys.

I now have a reason to port the K2 stuff over to Giga and dump that play at home app.

You should really re-consider, it's only a couple of bucks.

But if you don't gig out much, multiple takes are tolerated.

My crappy room service dinner tonight was $60 with tip. $199 for a year or three of coding doesn't seem so bad right now.

So I just got a Gigastudio Ensemble 3. I'm gonna be registering it tomorrow when I install it. Now, an update to GVI 3 is $125 or so for Ensemble version. Now, because I got it at this time, would I qualify for a GVI4 for same $125?

Anybody has that info?

Quote Originally Posted by williemyers
    So, o.k., maybe TASCAM's thinking is that there's a lot of library and/or new features in GVI4 and tough luck to the Mac users who've waited and waited.
    This is pretty nonsensical, even as accusations-lodged-against-TASCAM go.

As is your belief that Mac users have been "neglected" all this time.

The very reason why GigaStudio was never ported to Mac before is that the program had been coded, from the ground up, to do what it does within the realm of the Windows operating system kernel. Its code was, thus, inextricably intertwined with that of Windows in many critical ways.

GS was never the sort of program that could just be casually "ported" to Mac...

It was only after the several years that was apparently spent doing a massive rewrite of large parts of the GS3 code (which is probably what also made it possible for them to release Giga as a VSTi, in the form of GVI), that TASCAM could finally undertake the massive task of porting GVI to the Mac...

That's a lot of hard work, and a lot of time... which no company would invest if it hadn't calculated what it would have to charge in order to recoup those costs and eventually turn a profit.

Far from being "tough luck to the Mac users," it's more like "we've heard your clamoring, and -- despite the unavoidably enormous technological hurdles -- we're finally able to give you what you want."

I met enough people at AES who were ecstatic at the notion of either (i) finally being able to open up their old .gig files on a Mac and/or removing one or more networked PCs from their system, or (ii) finally taking the plunge and buying GVI-powered libraries.

There were functional "beta" versions of GS4, GVI 4, and GVI 4 Mac running at AES. The word from TASCAM is that all will hopefully be released in "first quarter 2008," with an obvious push to get things on the street by Winter NAMM.

Moreover, once GVI 4 Mac is in a "solid beta" state, they will be sending out SDKs to the library developers, so that they can port their GVI-wrapped instruments to a Mac version as well.

Quote Originally Posted by williemyers
    my total investment would be $174
    ... which is a pittance, when one considers how much hardware/software money is spent on the average sample-based music system...

If you're truly happy with Kontakt, then that's where you'll go. But things are moving in GigaLand, so you should keep at least one eye looking back to see all that you're walking away from...

— alanb

Thumbs up Re: GVI for Mac, a rip?

Ladies And Gentlemen,...............Alan B.

No worries about me mate, I have been Giga with from the start. I only strayed away to get some extra content. But there's no way Kontackt can be used live due to the instability issues I've experienced. It's great as a sample player, but most developers are thinking in terms of recording, so their layouts of articulations are very difficult to change, and definately made for multiple takes. That's fine if you do 1 track over, and over, and over.

Giga's team has always kept the live performer in mind, and even if you do not like the key switches, and wish to customise your performances, no sweat.

I have 2 x 88's controlling my Scope / Giga DAW's, and use the MIDI Solutions FP8 w/ 4 x expression pedals, 2 x sustain, and 2 x footswitch's. I can access all of my mixer, hardware analog synths, and Scope devices, as well as Giga content from there. Ocassionally I use my ancient but battle worthy Kurzweil Expressionmate, but having both hands playing is the goal. Kontackt required too much work to make it acceptable for me, and I am sure that the audience prefers hearing me play as opposed to staring at my ~~~ while I have to stare at my LCD's trying to get Kontackt to play nice. Totally unacceptable.

With GS3 / GVI and Scope, I load once before the gig, and that's all I need do. With GS4 / GVI 4 and Scope, I am sure the new code used on GVI has been used on GS4, and that fact alone means way more content, and kernel level MIDI for Scope still.

I am confident that Dog Will Hunt !!

Thanks, and Hat's Off To Tascam 4 regaining it's crown as the supreme dream for live performers. GS3,..........just has to go.

Go Back to forum