Apologies in advance to the forum users for this rant.
But no apologies to TASCAM for what seems like a clear "rip". Here goes...
Back last summer when TASCAM introduced GVI, it was offered to GS3 (Orch) users at a great introductory price of $75. Problem was, that was a *PC only* version of GVI. There were many promises of a Mac version of GVI to come.
Over the past year, there have been many "sightings" of GVO for Mac at tradeshows, but still, we Mac users waited...and waited.
Now, with GVI4, it appears we *finally* have the GVI for Mac that we've waited for, for months and months. Problem is, the cost.
As I said, GVI/PC for GS3 was $75. But GVI4 (for Mac & PC) is a $199 upgrade from GS3. But a GVI/PC (they call it GVI3) upgrade is just $99. So, if I had purchased GVI/PC for $75 - and let it sit on the shelf for a year - and now upgrade to GVI4 ($99), my total investment would be $174.
So, o.k., maybe TASCAM's thinking is that there's a lot of library and/or new features in GVI4 and tough luck to the Mac users who've waited and waited. But even if they won't offer us Mac users the originally promised $75 GVI, they could at least offer us the $99 GVI....or even the $174 GVI? To hit us with the $199 entry to a GVI that will run on Mac is just a plain rip.
As for myself - and having no idea of when the long-awaited GVI for Mac was going to surface - I've recently gotten in to Kontakt and have had pretty good results translating my Giga libraries from Giga to Kontakt. I would love try out the long, awaited GVI for Mac (GVI4), but there's a gut feeling that we Mac guys have been neglected and/or just plain ripped off with this offer. *If* I'm successful with the Kontakt conversions, I'll be selling my Giga PC, transferring my GS3 Orch ownership and operating on my Mac with Kontakt running my (45) Giga libraries. Can't see how TASCAM comes out the winner in that scenario....
b myers, composer