• Register
  • Help

Topic: Rapsodie Espagnol (Ravel)

Share/Bookmark

Rapsodie Espagnol (Ravel)

This file contains the complete 4 movements of Ravel's 'Rapsodie Espagnol'. The outer movements have been presented here previously, but they have been reworked, and the other two are new.

This piece is for large orchestra, and was done using GPO and Garritan Studio (plus Midi File Creator, Cakewalk Express and Cool Edit Pro).

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Showband.asp?id=12750

I hope you enjoy it.

Regards,

Jack

Re: Rapsodie Espagnol (Ravel)

Well done.

I am not familiar with this piece, but it sounds great to me. When I get the chance, I will definately check out some of your originals.

Ron

For the most part pretty good. On occasion I thought I heard some "machine gun" type effect, most likely in the percussion. A couple of nights ago I saw the Boston Symphony perform an all Ravel show, so ravel has been on my mind…
    Trent P. McDonald

Hello, Jack

It's very good to see you here with more music. I've always admired your dedication to recreating classic compositions.

This has certainly been a VEry large labor of love for you, working with the incomparable Ravel. And to hear this extremely rich piece again has provided a luscious start to my day - THank you for that!

A bit of technical feedback - as much as I enjoy more intimate sounding recordings, I kept feeling throughout that I would have enjoyed hearing this in a larger venue ie: larger reverb laid on more thickly. I think it would add more naturalism to the results.

There's also quite a bit of the overly perfect notation sound to this, so that massive orchestral chords start to get an organ effect. Difficult to avoid with the software you use, I think? The absolutely perfect note-on events are also largely responsible for what's come to be known as the "machine gun" effect which crops up throughout this recording.

It sounds like the invaluable Garritan Legato effect (via cc64 or 68) isn't being used? Woodwind passages sound constantly tongued rather than slurred as they are in reality. Is this something that can't be utilized in "MIDI File Creator?"

Basically, I'm feeling that if this massive amount of work could be loosened up, working with your MIDI files in your Cakewalk and Cool Edit programs, and with more reverb added - then the results would be even more satisfying.

Hats off to you, Jack, for your work - I am hoping my feedback is taken in the spirit of wanting to be helpful as it's intended.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi Ron and Trent,

Thanks for listening, and for your comments.

I will have to pay more attention to the 'machine -gun' effect, (which Randy also mentioned).

Regards,

Jack

I've heard this piece before. I've never been a big fan. Not a bad rendering of it, but I personally think I just can't stand that ostinato sound. It' nothing personl of course. There are some glitch sounds a 4th of the way through. Anyhow, good render, just not a fan of the work.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Hi Randy,

Thanks again for your interest, and your detailed comments.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    A bit of technical feedback - as much as I enjoy more intimate sounding recordings, I kept feeling throughout that I would have enjoyed hearing this in a larger venue ie: larger reverb laid on more thickly. I think it would add more naturalism to the results.
    I took a slightly different tack with the reverb on this piece, applying it in varying amounts to the different sections of the orchestra.

It sounds like the invaluable Garritan Legato effect (via cc64 or 68) isn't being used? Woodwind passages sound constantly tongued rather than slurred as they are in reality. Is this something that can't be utilized in "MIDI File Creator?"
    I did use cc64 here and there, but in some instances I had to remove it as it affected the timing adversely. My program does simulate the delayed note-on in legato passages.

One problem I have, which I don't know how to fix, is that I often get an inordinate amount of noise in the playback. It's not just in the loud passages with many tracks in play, but seems to occur haphazardly at any time. I actually acquired Sonar, thinking to use it, but I found that this noise gets recorded on the audio file, whereas, with Garritan Studio, no matter how noisy the playback gets, it will produce a pristine recording of the .wav file.

Hats off to you, Jack, for your work - I am hoping my feedback is taken in the spirit of wanting to be helpful as it's intended.
    Thanks a lot, Randy. I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Jack

Randy B.
    (rbowser)[/quote]

I've followed the previous portions of this, of course,
    Jack... and as I think I've indicated previously, you've
    got a darned nice hand with Ravel. Very well done,
    interpretively.

Technically, likewise, I think you've done well in what
    is surely a massive undertaking. The single thing
    I would, with Randy, see as easily improved is perhaps
    mounting this within a larger venue... a little more room
    and presence to it. While I understand and respect your
    intelligent reticence concerning overdoing sound treatment,
    I think with Ravel, especially, "seeing through a veil" is
    often an appropriate thought to keep in mind.

Again, great job on this, Jack!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by tubajedimr
    I've heard this piece before. I've never been a big fan. Not a bad rendering of it, but I personally think I just can't stand that ostinato sound. It' nothing personl of course. There are some glitch sounds a 4th of the way through. Anyhow, good render, just not a fan of the work.
    Thanks for dropping by. Sorry you don't like the piece, but 'c'est la vie'.

Regards,

Jack

Hi David,

It's good to hear from you again. Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    I've followed the previous portions of this, of course,
    Jack... and as I think I've indicated previously, you've
    got a darned nice hand with Ravel. Very well done,
    interpretively.

Technically, likewise, I think you've done well in what
    is surely a massive undertaking. The single thing
    I would, with Randy, see as easily improved is perhaps
    mounting this within a larger venue... a little more room
    and presence to it. While I understand and respect your
    intelligent reticence concerning overdoing sound treatment,
    I think with Ravel, especially, "seeing through a veil" is
    often an appropriate thought to keep in mind.

Again, great job on this, Jack!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    I have been concerned that I can't seem to get the kind of 'sound quality' that others seem to achieve. Since I can't take credit or blame for the music itself, it must be something in the rendering. I'll try to experiment more with reverb, and with some of the other suggestions that Randy has made.

Best regards,

Jack

Go Back to forum