• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A GOOFY Experiment

A GOOFY Experiment

We are all slaves to 2's and 4's. Yes, we write music in 3/4 and even 5/4, but even then we write phrases that are 2 or 4 measures long, or some multiple of those. Tchiakovsy's Sixth in 5/4 used 2-measure phrases and Dave Brubeck's "take Five" used four-measure phrases.

The attached sketch is a goofy experiment in odd time. The "Pento" form (just a goofy name I dreamt up) is in 5/4 and the piece is divided up as follows:

A theme consisting of three-measure phrases is repeated three times, followed by the second theme, also built of three-measure phrases, and featuring the use of parallel fifths. To this point the melody has a total of 19 measures. This section is followed by a third theme, in a key signature up a fifth, which consists of phrases of five measures, also repeated three times. Then follows a single measure to modulate back to the principal key and a recapitulation of the principal theme. So everything about the piece is odd.

In spite of being so odd, I still wanted it to sound like a "traditional" tonal melody, pehaps the kind of piece they dance to on a distant planet where the dominant life form has five legs.

Rendered with the GPO Steinway.

Here's the sketch.
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Re: A GOOFY Experiment

Goofy but enjoyable. I hope you are not trying to make fun of those of us with 5 legs. Discrimination is not fair. We put on our pants 3 legs at a time just like anyone else.

Aint music grand

Wilton, NH

Well, I thought that was quite fun. I could even imagine people with two feet dancing to this.
    Trent P. McDonald

Needs more cowbell.

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Hey, I know this tune as "Waltz for Pirates with Pegleg" from the Smaltz Suite.

It reminds me a little of the Vaughan Williams "Tocatta Marziale", a march based in 3/4 time but stressed to 2/4 time. It is an absolutely difficult piece to play and count out!!

Nice going!!!

Interesting experiment! There are some parts that really sound like some folk dance in some imaginary country. On the whole an interesting blend between the 'normal' way and the innovative one.

Greeetings from the planet Zarqoun! You will be pleeesed three know that your wonderful dance is being played in all five corners of our world, since it fits perfectly with the old-time but now growing in popularity 5-step.

It is indeed fivetunate that we have encountered your work. It is helping threewards our goal of inter-species cultural exchange.

Please keep moving fiveward with your work.

Gabriel Fiveay.

I love parallel fifths, and I write them all the time. So shoot me. I think it's my Japanese roots. I actually am not Japanese, but I've always wanted to live there. This of course doesn't sound Japanese, but you know what I mean.

So if you think technically about this your dividing everything into 5's? 3 times 3 is 9, times 5 is 45....5 times 5 is 25. I don't know. I'm so lost with this piece. Just awesome confusing work...
    Yours Truly,
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:

Hey there, Gary

It's great to see that you are finding time to have so much fun with your newly acquired GPO. First Beethoven, now this "Goofy Experiment"---which I don't find at All "goofy" - just great, spritely, fun music. I feel like I'm twirling and constantly almost losing my balance - and call me crazy, but I like that feeling.

Randy B.

Bellingham, WA

What a hoot! Are you sure you and Larry Alexander are not related?
    A real fun piece.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast