• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Giga 4 announced: Any scripting comparable to Kontakt?

Share/Bookmark

Talking Giga 4 announced: Any scripting comparable to Kontakt?

Hi Guys

Happy Halloween! Boooooo!!!!

Tascam just announced Giga 4. You guys know a whole lot more than I do when it comes to these Samplers. Does anybody have a lead on whether G4 is going to have any of the "scripting" kind of stuff that everybody has gone nuts over in Kontakt 2?... which as you all know, has also announced a new rev.

Just curious. Its pretty incredible what these programs can do today!

For those of you in "the know" please fill the rest of us in on what you see as all the coolest features to compare and contrast!!!!

Don't be shy!!!

Be bold and tell it like it is!!!!!

Thanks!!! Pat

Re: Giga 4 announced: Any scripting comparable to Kontakt?

Quote Originally Posted by Patthoven
    Hi Guys

Happy Halloween! Boooooo!!!!

Tascam just announced Giga 4. You guys know a whole lot more than I do when it comes to these Samplers. Does anybody have a lead on whether G4 is going to have any of the "scripting" kind of stuff that everybody has gone nuts over in Kontakt 2?... which as you all know, has also announced a new rev.

Just curious. Its pretty incredible what these programs can do today!

For those of you in "the know" please fill the rest of us in on what you see as all the coolest features to compare and contrast!!!!

Don't be shy!!!

Be bold and tell it like it is!!!!!

Thanks!!! Pat
    Well, both programs are so capable. Kontakt is known for it's scripting but Giga has abilities too.

I spoke with a leading sample library company the other day and they produce a high end orchestral library in both formats.
    They told me IF I have Giga running properly (and many don't or can't) I should stick with Giga.

Really on deciding which program to use one should first look at the available libraries they want and see which format is supported.
    Giga and Kontakt are the main contenders today but I will say that many manufacturers are looking at supporting Kontakt first.
    For example Kirk Hunter's new libraries which are highly desirable, especially for the price point are now only Kontakt.

The big bummer with Giga is actually making it work!!
    It runs at the Kernel level of windows and inherently is very buggy.

I've had my share of probs with it but eventually got the bugs worked out.
    A lot has to do with hardware also.

I think Giga will be around for some time but my guess is Kontakt will eventually become the standard, many think it already has.

If you're not great with computers I'd say go with Kontakt........

Thanks for the feedback!

What about the Mac? If the GVI is coming in a Mac version, could that not mean that Gigastudio itself could be developed for Mac? Or is that oversimplifying the situation ;-0??

Nigel

everyone in the film industry has giga studios
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chalfant
    [...]I spoke with a leading sample library company the other day and they produce a high end orchestral library in both formats.[...]
    So, you mean that a new virtual orchestra is on the way to be released soon ?

Sweet .

Smile Re: Giga 4 announced: Any scripting comparable to Kontakt?

Well, both programs are so capable. Kontakt is known for it's scripting but Giga has abilities too.........
    I get that Kontakt is known for scripting, but to say that Giga" has its abilities too" is a bit of an understatement. Giga is a rather powerful beast.

Giga and Kontakt are the main contenders today but I will say that many manufacturers are looking at supporting Kontakt first.
    I'm not sure if I don't agree,... but not for the reasons you stated. I wish Giga would pick up the ball and kick a field goal..... maybe 4.0 has some new spunk!!

The big bummer with Giga is actually making it work!!
    Hmmm... I'm not sure if most people would agree with this. 2.5 was very buggy, but I haven't heard the same complaints from those running 3.0.

I think Giga will be around for some time but my guess is Kontakt will eventually become the standard, many think it already has..........
    Simply due to the momentum that K2 gained over the last few years, I tend to agree with you on this, despite my love for Giga.

If you're not great with computers I'd say go with Kontakt........
    Again, here I have to take exception, as Kontakt has had its share of buginess too,..... and Giga in its 3.0 state has been a pretty decent performer.... soooo.....

What is iMidi anway?
    Let's hear some more opinions fellas. Chime in guys!!!

>>everyone in the film industry has giga studios

Guess again...

Well actually I have one, it just hasn't been turned on in a few years.
    Bryan E. Miller
    Sensory Overload Music
    www.sensory-overload.com

In fact, Giga's iMIDI rules are extremely powerful.

More and more developers are incorporating iMIDI rules (as well as Giga's "Dynamic Expression Filter" and "Portamento Reshaping Filter") to make some pretty extraordinary sounds.

I, too, am hoping for a 4.0 field goal!!

— alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Well, both programs are so capable. Kontakt is known for it's scripting but Giga has abilities too.
    Wrong !

Kontakt scripting is more advanced. Impossible to reproduce with imidi rules my latest multithreaded overtones script fo piano.

Gigastudio imidi rules can't do this. Bad for Piano...
    To limited....

Post Re: Giga 4 announced: Any scripting comparable to Kontakt?

All of these developers tricks sure sound neat and intricate, but in the real world, the player makes it happen.

I have both apps, and they both have their soft underbellies, and Achilles Heels.

It's the musician playing the instrument, and not all of these " performance features."

All of these extras sound great on paper, the same way that VSL and others developers tried to convince us that we needed 500 articulations, and 500 GB libraries. Baloney !!

I have heard some instruments that used DEF filters to allow more variety in content. These tricks I agree work fine, and keep these ridiculously large Terabyte libraries off of my HDD array. I once deleted several layers in the Post Bosendorfer Piano, and noticed no difference in the performance whatsoever.That was in 2.54 when we still needed to load more content as it suffered from the larger libraries.

So let's hope developers start using a more real world approach by having sostenuto ability, Polyphonic aftertouch, important stuff. Round Robin, scripting overtones? Stay on this planet, and get the real performance features first before getting all scientific with these unhearable marketing ploys.

Nuttin' But Luv.

JimmyV

Go Back to forum