• Register
  • Help

Topic: How Does My GPO Organ Sound?

Share/Bookmark

Talking How Does My GPO Organ Sound?

Dear All

I've been checking out the various organ samples out there for a piece I'm sketching for Organ & Orchestra (a Fanfare & March). After a lot of messing around I've decided to go with the GPO organ for now coz I think I've finally got an ok sound?

I've uploaded the Organ intro (its still a rough sketch) but you can easily enough imagine how the strings will follow the organ melody line - a bit of Q & A between the two, bit of reiteration etc ending with a mega loud blast of organ & brass as it ends with a restatement of the opening chords.

As I said, I've uploaded it to the Garritan mp3 player - its grand title is Fanfare and March for Pipe Organ and Orchestra.

Does the actual organ sound cut it? I look forward to your thoughts.

Cheers, ColinD

Re: How Does My GPO Organ Sound?

Where's your link, in the listen page?
    Styxx

From Styxx - "Where's your link, in the listen page?"

Its in the Garritan mp3 player page - its one of the stickies (Garritan MP£ Upload - url is http://www.garritan.net/player/ you can't miss it, title is Fanfare & March

cheers, Colin D

Actually, I was unaware or had forgotten about this section. Thanks for the link and reminder.
    Styxx

Colin, It sounds like an excellent composition, you should post the whole piece the listening room, but best to paste the link to the mp3 instead of the link to the player.

http://www.garritan.net/files/Fanfare%20and%20March.mp3
    ^
    You get that by clicking the thing on the left that looks like a CD drive.

The sound of the instrument and the sound of the recording sound like very good quality to my ears, maybe some of the experts can pick out any flaws that i can't hear.

David

Is the whole piece available? The organ sounds good (perhaps a bit more at the lower end EQ wise). Look forward to hearing the finished work!

Thanx everyone for your comments.

I've been working all afternoon on orchestrating the strings. I've never actually tried a piece for Organ before but I've been a fan of Bach's organ music since I was 13 - my first Bach organ album was a collection of his greats performed by the wonderful Lionel Rogg (that's him in the picy!).

What I'm doing is taking the parts for each manual & pedals and setting them for the strings - so far I'm using 1st vlns, Violas & Violas & 2nd vlns both pizz, plus may as well throw in the cellos & DB's.

I plan to end it with a huge, huge restatement of the opening chords with full brass that will bring the roof down!

Cheers, ColinD.

Hi, Colin "Maestro-D"

Sounds to me like you have the GPO Organ sounding really nice in the short clip you posted. I'm glad you decided to go with the Garritan Organ after all. The piece itself is sounding very interesting too - Hope you're doing well with the next step, orchestrating the strings for it.

This might be the limitation of the little computer speakers I have on this online computer, but I heard distortion in the recording. Other people haven't mentioned it, so it could just be my playback here.

Good luck with it - Look forward to hearing the finished piece in The Listening Room!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Actually, I heard the distortion as well, i just assumed that it was just a very recording and that it wouldnt be there in the finished track....

BenN

Yes - there is some clipping (I'm using Sonar 7). I'll get rid of it in the final mix. I have a fairly ordinary Yamaha speaker rig with a great sub-woofer, swear to god the pedals and bass will blow your hair off!

Cheers, CD

Go Back to forum