• Register
  • Help

Topic: volume problems

Share/Bookmark

volume problems

I'm using GPO in Logic, and having trouble with volume. Every time I reopen, save, or bounce a project, all mod wheel volumes are reset to the minimum value. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Or an effective workaround? I've set the volume knob to +12 dB, but the samples are still too quiet when the mod wheel is at the bottom. Thanks.

Re: volume problems

Hi, jpdredge

You answered your own question without realizing it:

"...the samples are still too quiet when the mod wheel is at the bottom..."

That's correct. The Mod Wheel (MIDI continuous controller #1) is the volume control for most of the GPO instruments. When the wheel is at the bottom, that's the lowest possible volume.

You need Mod Wheel data recorded all through your projects, to expressively and constantly be varying the volumes of each instrument's line.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Is there a way to automate these mod wheel changes without recording them in real-time? I mostly use step input to program my string sounds. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, jpdredge

You answered your own question without realizing it:

"...the samples are still too quiet when the mod wheel is at the bottom..."

That's correct. The Mod Wheel (MIDI continuous controller #1) is the volume control for most of the GPO instruments. When the wheel is at the bottom, that's the lowest possible volume.

You need Mod Wheel data recorded all through your projects, to expressively and constantly be varying the volumes of each instrument's line.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I think that i recall someone posting that in KontaktPlayer2 there was some way to check or uncheck something to make it not reset to zero. Sorry i don't remember exactly where though.

Hello again, jpdredge

Yes, all MIDI controllers, including cc1 (Mod Wheel) can be drawn in instead of recorded in real time. The latter, real time, is Much more intuitive and generally gives more natural results, since you're simply turning the wheel while you listen to playback and you concentrate on varying the volume - You Do get it that you can record MIDI data in multiple passes, right?--you add each layer one thing at a time.

But if you want to do it in slow motion, by hand, in your MIDI editing window ("Piano Roll View" in Sonar and most DAWs) you ask to see cc1, and with the pencil tool, you can draw the data in.

The "re-set to zero" option which Leaf mentioned is in Sonar. I don't think there's an analogous control in Logic.

Hope this helps.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Thanks, I get it now. I don't do a whole lot in real time right now, but I'll try it.

As we are talking about logic can i ask a slightly unrelated question? (I will anyway!)

How do you set up the KP2 in logic? I have it there as a choice (finally) but how do I open just once instance of KP2 and route multiple midi tracks to it? I have Logic Pro (8 studio or whatever its called) and this is really starting to frustrate me!

Thanks!

BenN

Go Back to forum