• Register
  • Help

Topic: Laptop PSU + Tascam US-122L = WHINE

Share/Bookmark

Laptop PSU + Tascam US-122L = WHINE

Hi there

I have a Toshiba laptop and Tascam US-122L that work very well together UNTIL I plug the laptop into its PSU. The usual whisper quiet high performance is interrupted by a continual high pitched whining noise that eminates from my monitors/speakers.

It doesn't matter which laptop or desktop computer I use. It doesn't matter which speakers I use. If the laptop PSU is plugged in, there is a whine. I've tried moving the Tascam away from the laptop physically, and tried plugging it into a different power socket - all to no avail.

Help! I don't get this whining with my Echo Indigo PCMCIA card and it's driving me crazy!

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Stephen

Re: Laptop PSU + Tascam US-122L = WHINE

do you have some home equipment that communicate via power line? Like intercom or ethernet over power for example

Quote Originally Posted by sjduck
    Hi there

I have a Toshiba laptop and Tascam US-122L that work very well together UNTIL I plug the laptop into its PSU. The usual whisper quiet high performance is interrupted by a continual high pitched whining noise that eminates from my monitors/speakers.

It doesn't matter which laptop or desktop computer I use. It doesn't matter which speakers I use. If the laptop PSU is plugged in, there is a whine. I've tried moving the Tascam away from the laptop physically, and tried plugging it into a different power socket - all to no avail.

Help! I don't get this whining with my Echo Indigo PCMCIA card and it's driving me crazy!

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Stephen

No, no intercom or home plug technology. Interestingly the whining is only present via the line outs on the unit, not the headphone jack. I've contacted Tascam and they've asked me to return the unit but I can't afford to be without it.
    Cheers

Standard problem for guys gigging with laptops - try putting a ground lift adapter on the power cord.

Ernie

Thanks Ernie
    You were right - it's a ground loop problem. How much of a risk is it to run a laptop AC adaptor with the earth disconnected? I notice that until about a year ago nearly all laptops had only live and neutral connections (no earth), so I can't imagine the risk is particularly great.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Go Back to forum