• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: CHANGING LANDSCAPES for Band

Share/Bookmark

CHANGING LANDSCAPES for Band

Written for a young Concert Band. Limited range and easier rhythm patterns. For all of you small school or Middle school Directors, does this keep your interest.
    Gary

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=5855268&q=hi

This recording has the quality of a "fair" Middle school Band-slightly out of balance and out of tune....wierd!
    Last edited by garymosse; 10-09-2007 at 05:55 PM. Reason: not working

Re: CHANGING LANDSCAPES for Band

As I listen I can imagine young players doing this – as you said, out of tune, out of balance and a little awkward. As far as keeping interest, it’s as good as anything the concert band I was in when I was at this level and better than most. You seem to demand more from the percussionists than anybody else. It was fun, maybe a little painful, listening.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thanks for listening, Trent.
    Drummers-uh..percussionist can develop these skills a little fasterbecause they don't have to wait for embouchures to develop. Still, it would require a dedicated player.
    Gary

Gary's right. I don't think the difficulty in percussion on this piece would necessarily be each individual part, but rather, getting your percussionists to play together. Counting with ease is a difficult thing for middle school percussionists (at least where I went to middle school). Still, a very authentic sound!

I started in a concert band at age 12 in percussion while I was learning to get my first reasonable notes out of a baritone. We had more percussion that anything else, and I would have loved to have taken part in this. Although I believe we would have really struggled with the rhythm - not perhaps each individual part, but the interplay would have confused us. At age 12, I was still easily distracted by what everyone else was doing!

The ending sounded a little abrupt for my taste, although it would work well if it was to lead straight in to a second movement.

An enjoyable listen - thanks for sharing!

Owen

Thanks for listening, Sanyaren.
    My experience with Middle School Drummers: they can either be very motivated & together, or they can be the source of constant noise.
    Individually, each part is easy. It takes time to coordinate parts and give
    the chime & cymbal and tymp the confidence to enter in time.
    Gary

Hi Owen, thanks for listening.
    One of the most critical parts of beginning band is convincing students to
    start on instruments which lead to a balanced instrumenrtation.
    If you allow students to pick what they want to play without any guidence, the
    Band would have flutes, clarinets, 20 alto/tenor saxes.trumpets. and 20 drums-only snare & bass, no keyboards,etc. Hard to find music for this group.
    I always helped students find an instrument they could play based on
    size & shape of teeth; length of fingers; making a good sound on mouthpiece;
    because students only practice if they suceed in making a good sound.
    After achieving a relative balance of all instruments, the remaining students could tryout for percussion and had to display coordination and a good feeling for the beat. New band students don't really know what they want to play. That's what the BD has to help them with.
    Gary

How disturbingly realistic! All that you are missing are a few clarinet and alto sax squeeks and you've got it!

Aside from the difficult percussion part there seems to be a lot of syncopation which might throw off most middle school level bands as well.

Playable perhaps, but difficult for most middle school level bands. Perhaps a little reworking to make the wind parts more difficult (up to the level of the percussion) so that it could be a low-level high school piece might work out better?

Thanks for listening Alynn.
    You may be right about the syncopation. I usually found that syncopation
    which was not in consecutive measures was OK, but I will look again.
    Gary

Cool sound--also great that you give several of the "kids" solos. Very interesting--the beginning almost reminds me Webern (of course you go on for > 18 seconds)
    Modern but not in a way that would scare away the kids
    Great piece!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast