• Register
  • Help

Topic: Definitions and explanations

Share/Bookmark

Definitions and explanations

I use sibelius and that's about it. I put the notes in, sib plays and records what I do. Samplers and daws and the rest I am not sure about.

My guess is that for example if I bought K3, It would play the sounds if I used a midi keyboard to input, but would not record. To record I need a sequencer?

All I am looking for is a simple explanation of what does what. If I bought k3 to go with sib, how do I get the sounds from libraries to be recorded?

What does what?

The reason I ask is that I am interested in buying K3, but I can't get a yes or no from sib that the instruments in K3 will record in SIB5. Actually, I get both yes and no from them. When I use sib4 w/Jabb, I record sib instruments in sib and jabb instruments in Garritan studio and then put the 2 together in audacity. The sounds are sometimes in synch and sometimes not. Needless to say it is frustrating to have everything going along fine and then all of a sudden for a few measures one lags behind the other and then get back in synch.

What is the solution?
    Thanks
    Ron

Re: Definitions and explanations

You are not being really specific Ron, while you're asking a helluva lot!

Let's see now.

There are 2 different things you need in order to get going (3 actually).
    1. The keyboard which should be connected with the computer via midi.
    2. A "host" which will listen to the midi information and record it. This could be Finale, sibelius, or a sequencer liks Sonar, Cubase, Logic, etc.
    with the above 2 you are pretty much done. This is the music part. Now:
    3. A sampler with samples inside.
    This is the dressing up. It is used inside the "host" and it can be used while you're playing so you will be getting feedback of what you play to what you hear real time, or it can be used later on. For example have piano for everything and then change to clarinet, flute, etc.

I've not used Sibelius so I can't guide you through, but I guess it should have an option to have midi connection with a keyboard, and since you can dress up any sample library you want, through VST (which Sib 5 has, as far as I know) you're good to go with these 2.

Hope it helps a bit...

Thanks Nikolas

Maybe what I am asking is what does it mean to be VST capable?

Right now in sib 4 I can hear JABB instuments played in sibelius, but it only records Sib sounds, Si I have to try and mix them outside of sib which does not work well.

Let me ask this

If I bought K3 (from Native instruments) does that program record as well? Does it take what I input from a keyboard and just change the sound?

I have been trying to figure out this stuff that I am sure is obvious to the users, but not to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Thanks Nikolas

Maybe what I am asking is what does it mean to be VST capable?
    VST is a protocoll for connection and plug-ins. Cubase and some other hosts have VST connections. There is also RTAS, or AU, which you might have heard. Up until now, you couldn't add VST instruments to sibelius (again as far as I know), so you could only have what was designed for sibelius alone. Now with VST support it means that you pretty much can take ANYTHING that is in VST and use it in sibelius (and believe me that 90% of the stuff out there are in VST as well as other formats).

Right now in sib 4 I can hear JABB instuments played in sibelius, but it only records Sib sounds, Si I have to try and mix them outside of sib which does not work well.
    Again, I don't know Sibelius, but if you can hear JABB, you should be able to record them.

I'm afraid that I can't help you here, but as a last resort, if you had a done recording ready to be recorded from Sibelius, but can't make it IN sibelius, why not find a tiny program to record "what you hear" from the speakers? Or something simmilar?

Let me ask this

If I bought K3 (from Native instruments) does that program record as well? Does it take what I input from a keyboard and just change the sound?
    K3 does NOT record. It adds the sounds (samples) to you midi information. It is a sampler, not a sequencer.

I have been trying to figure out this stuff that I am sure is obvious to the users, but not to me.
    Have no worried, mate It will come together. now that you have the money, you can stop worrying a bit, relax, find as much info as possible and then move on to the buy...

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas

Again, I don't know Sibelius, but if you can hear JABB, you should be able to record them.

I'm afraid that I can't help you here, but as a last resort, if you had a done recording ready to be recorded from Sibelius, but can't make it IN sibelius, why not find a tiny program to record "what you hear" from the speakers? Or something simmilar?
    The reason I ask is that I am interested in buying K3, but I can't get a yes or no from sib that the instruments in K3 will record in SIB5. Actually, I get both yes and no from them. When I use sib4 w/Jabb, I record sib instruments in sib and jabb instruments in Garritan studio and then put the 2 together in audacity. The sounds are sometimes in synch and sometimes not. Needless to say it is frustrating to have everything going along fine and then all of a sudden for a few measures one lags behind the other and then get back in synch.

Ican hear the jabb instruments play, but there is a nice little warning that comes up when I hit record that says sib will only record the sib instruments. This is what I am trying to avoid.

BTW Nikolas.... I bought a Dell dual core w/2 2.66 chips and 4 gigs Ram. The reason I bought Dell was my brother gets a decent discount from them. I have ordered sib5 and will get the computer and sib5 by the end of this week or early next. I also ordered GPO for SIB5 but that is on back order and I will get that whenever they get a new shipment. Kontakt is running a deal for K3 w/33gb sound library for under 300$ if you have a kontakt player from any other source. But if I can't record in sib, that means I would also have to buy a sequencer right? And I assume for a decent sound I am looking at sonar or above. Good sounds run thru some like Audacity seems like turning a great steak into hamburger.

You know I appreciate your help for the last few months working this all out.

Go Back to forum