• Register
  • Help

Topic: Goodbye Record Labels: Nine Inch Nails Dumps Labels

Share/Bookmark

Goodbye Record Labels: Nine Inch Nails Dumps Labels

Highly popular Rock Band "Nine Inch Nails" have announced that they are free agents, and will not be using the services of a record companies in the future.

On the Nine Inch Nails web site:

"Hello everyone. I've waited a LONG time to be able to make the following announcement: as of right now Nine Inch Nails is a totally free agent, free of any recording contract with any label. I have been under recording contracts for 18 years and have watched the business radically mutate from one thing to something inherently very different and it gives me great pleasure to be able to finally have a direct relationship with the audience as I see fit and appropriate. Look for some announcements in the near future regarding 2008. Exciting times, indeed."

It seems more artists are doing this. Ernstinen posted about Radioheads web-only, pay-what-you-want independent release of their new album.

And let's not forget the annual Garritan Community Christmas CD was an independet free release for the past several years.

Are we seeing the end of the record labels?

Re: Goodbye Record Labels: Nine Inch Nails Dumps Labels

Looks like Trent and Radiohead is finally getting around to where Prince was at ten years ago - glad to see the seed change taking root. The sooner that record labels get a clue and die of (economic) natural causes, the better.

Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Looks like there are others out there not happy with the record companies.
    http://torrentfreak.com/steal-our-al...-label-071009/

Seems like from a buisiness sense, a resonable way to go for established bands, they could just have their own label, so they can dictate how big their cut is... 90%.

Free just like us indie losers whom no label would touch with ... with a 9-inch pole.

Go Back to forum