• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Does anyone Have a Roland Sound Canvas?

Orcas Island

Does anyone Have a Roland Sound Canvas?

We are benchmarking our General MIDI library and would like to compare it to the Roland Sound Canvas.

The old Sound Canvas sounds are a standard and have been used to create sounds in many GM files. We would like to A/B volume levels, panning, setting, etc to the old Sound Canvas sounds.

Does anyone have an old Sound Canvas laying around that we could borrow on a short term basis? (or even buy)

We need the old hardware unit (not the software version) - preferably SC 880 or SC 55MKII or something similar

We would be happy to trade a library or a hamburger on Tuesday to be able to borrow a Sound Canvas.

Thanks in advance,

Gary Garritan

Re: Does anyone Have a Roland Sound Canvas?

I have an SC-155, Gary.

AMD Athlon 64X2 4400+ 2.2GHz
    XP Pro 2GB Ram
    80GB OS, 160GB Audio, 320GB Samples
    Delta 66 Omni Sonar 5PE GPO, JABB

I have two SC-55 (which I haven't used since installing GPO!!!)

I don't know if it's MKII, however... it's I believe the first model of Sound Canvas to come out.

hehehe, I keep editing this post, I keep remembering stuff!

OH! and if you DO make it sound like my old SoundCanvas I am SOOOOO buying that library!!!
    I have some new-age stuff that REALLY needs it.

A bunch of the pads and effects (instruments 95, 96, especially 97!!!) are not the same in the general MIDI sounds that come with Finale.

Like the "Ice Rain" sound is so different I really can't use it to reproduce the effect I wanted when I wrote this piece originally.

The Roland SC 55 was, I think, the first Roland Soundmodule which had the Roland GS-Mode. GS is not GM, but if I am right, it has also the GM mode.....

In GS mode there are more sounds, like in the Yamaha players who have the XG-mode.... .

The big goal in the SC55 is, that you can edit there the sounds in many ways... .

In the 90`s, I have arranged many many songs in the Roland GS mode and sold them here in germany... .

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I have a Roland MT90S which I no longer use. It's a piano-teacher product consisting of some version of the sound canvas plus floppy disk drive and speakers.

I also have an SC 55 (not MKII though). And it would be dying to turn into JABB...

I have two Roland MGS-64s that I believe carry the Sound Canvas sets. Each has two MIDI ins as well. GPO replaced them in my system so they are sitting in the basement under wraps. I have the original manuals and everything works. Let me know if you're interested.

Reber Clark

P.S. I also have an old Roland U110 with Latin, Orchestral Strings, and Woodwinds sound cards (in addition to the onboard sounds) - have manual and in good shape.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

I have two Roland Orchestral Expanders MOC-1 if this helps.

All your strings belong to me!

West Seneca, NY

I have an SC-88. What's the gig, shlamig? I am currently using it for midi files on songs we are using in our Hopevale Idol student contest. Should be finished with it in about a week. Would this help?

North Carolina

I have an SK55MKII that you can have, borrow or buy. Just let me know how to get it to you.

David Mauney

Go Back to forum