• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Want to create REX-files: Which program shall I use???

Share/Bookmark

Want to create REX-files: Which program shall I use???

Hi,

I want to create REX-Files from my own audio material and want to feed Stylus RMX with it. Propellerhead Reason is the probably the most obivious tool to use... but it is expensive (> 200 bugs).

Do you have a good/cheaper alternative for me???

Thanks!

Andreas

Re: Want to create REX-files: Which program shall I use???

ReCycle from Propellerheads is the only app I know of which will save Rex2 files. There used to be a program called Beat Creator from Zero-X which could save Rex1 files (mono only) but it doesn’t seem to be available anymore.

/Yoss

As far as I know, Reason can't create rex files, it can only play them. Recycle is the tool you're looking for.

It can be very tricky to get the audio slices as nice as Stylus' factory material. Their loops can be altered by 40 bpm in either direction and it still sounds artifact-free. I wonder if they've built a custom application for their loop slicing.

Thanks. I also wondered why other REX Libraries that I recently bought don´t sound too well when used at differend tempi than recorded... Considering the fact that with ReCycle one can "only" prepare audio material for use in Stylus RMX or something similar, the price for it is really a pain. Seems as if I need to watch out for a groupbuy...

10-11-2007 04:51 PMSchmandie
    Thanks. I also wondered why other REX Libraries that I recently bought don´t sound too well when used at differend tempi than recorded
    If you're looking for ultra-flexible REX loops, our REX loop releases in the "BPM Flex Series" can be used at just about any tempo with zero artifacts or artificial stretching.

There are around 50-60 REX demo loops on our site that you can test drive in RMX.
    Kyle
    www.NineVoltAudio.com
    info@NineVoltAudio.com
    Loop libraries designed for users of Stylus RMX, Reason and other REX format players

Kyle, you beat me to it.
    Firstly Recycle is the only tool that can create rex2 files......reason only plays them.....

Rexing files is an art form.....and quite frankly other than spectrasonics (and obviously ilio) and nine volt audio, I haven't come across any other developer who can do it really well... and I have lots of rex2 libraries....

rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Quote Originally Posted by Schmandie
    Seems as if I need to watch out for a groupbuy...
    I wouldn’t hold my breath on that one. AFAIK, Propellerheads have never done a group buy. I’m not sure they even could do it without violating signed agreements with their distributors.

I guess you might get lucky on eBay, though. Check this link for some advice from the Props:

http://www.propellerheads.se//suppor...le=buysell_buy

/Yoss

You know what a lot of people don't understand is that the content of what is being rexed is really important. Not everything can be rexed and come out sounding good. If you take some sort of melodic instrument that is played legato often it can create pops and artifacts no matter how skilled the "rexer" is. Things like rhythm guitar, drum beats or a grooving bass can come out with an enormous range of tempo stretching with little or no artifacts at all if done by someone skilled at creating rex files.

Thank you all... I think I will try to achieve some results with the slicing methods I have in other programs and apply effects to it. 200 EUR is far too much for something that achieves only semi-pro quality results in a lot of cases that are important to me (vocals and melodic material; I think the world does not need sliced drum grooves anymore ).

Phatmatik Pro does a great job with slicing and is less expensive; unfortunately the price went up when it was bought by Izotope!!

The only drawback is that you don't get Rex (Recycle files) which means you can't use them directly in RMX or Reason, but the files will work perfectly in any sequencer program.

HTH

Nigel

Go Back to forum