• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Voices in the Wilderness: mv 2: And Death Shall Have No Dominion

Share/Bookmark

Voices in the Wilderness: mv 2: And Death Shall Have No Dominion

I thought I had already posted this but my brain isn't working right today

Voices in the Wilderness is a suite of mystical poems set to music for chorus and small orchestra.

I have almost finished mv 1, and post it here as well.
    mv 2 is only about 1/3 done...
    in the player, you can click "lyrics" to see the words.

mv1: Heaven-Haven (Gerard Manley Hopkins)
    http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...d=5837467&q=hi

mv 2: And Death Shall Have No Dominion (Dylan Thomas):
    http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...d=5860493&q=hi

Re: Voices in the Wilderness: mv 2: And Death Shall Have No Dominion

KE Peace,

What a great idea! I absolutely adore the work of Hopkins and feel that this music beautifully compliments his glorious verse.

I look forward to hearing the finished work.

Sean

P.S. What choral library are you using?

Excellent beginning. It sound very "cinematic". I like it a lot.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Damon
    KE Peace,

What a great idea! I absolutely adore the work of Hopkins and feel that this music beautifully compliments his glorious verse.

I look forward to hearing the finished work.

Sean

P.S. What choral library are you using?
    Thank you very much, Sean, and welcome to the forum (as I see it says "new member" under your name). this forum, BTW, is one of the most extraordinary that I know of, with a spirit of giving and supporting each other that is enormously moving. For one member, whose piece was getting its premier in Seattle, but who could not afford to fly there to see it, the forum took up a collection to pay for his plane and hotel. That's one example.

Yes, I especially love Hopkins "The Windhover" and have thought this would be a real challenge and joy to set to music. with its musicality and rhythms that evoke the swinging soaring rhythm of a bird! there are so many beautiful mystical verses out there, I could spend the rest of my life putting them all to music. One of the things I wanted to do in each as best I could was to write the music to mimic the natural speaking rhythm of the poem as much as possible within the bounds of musicality. This is why, for example, the music for Heaven-Haven alternates between 3/4 and 4/4: 3/4 to accomodate the 2 dactyls -- "I have de-sired___ to " and two Spondees : 4/4 Go where / Springs won't ....

Movement 2, using Dylan Thomas's And Death Shall Have no Dominion, is rather exciting for me because I got a bit more daring with harmonies, and also because the poem is very powerful, alternating between dark and light in its imagery.

The choral library is one that came with Finale, called SmartSynth. It is not a great quality choral library, as for example, alto voices in low range sound male, rather than sampling a female voice at low range (and vice versa for male voices in the upper registers). But it is quite serviceable when used all together as a chorus spanning the normal range of choral singing voices, especially for mockups. I am told Garritan is working on a more sophisticated choral library, which I look forward to. The version that came with the gpo set in Finale, some people had difficuclty with a rather pronounced attack that made the choral sounds a bit choppy-sounding (from the little bit I have heard and read -- I'm no expert on it and there might, for all i know, be a way around this).

Anyway thanks for listening and the kind words. Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by fiziwig
    Excellent beginning. It sound very "cinematic". I like it a lot.

--gary shannon
    thanks gary -- yeah, cinematic fits, i think. i mean this is DEATH we're talking about

Karen
    This has a great dark opening....And is anexcellent beginning to this movement. My only concern is that mostly I hear the chorals and the small orchestra sort of disappears.

The ideas in the music fit beautifully with the poem and the voices themselves blend together well. Even for a cheap set of choral sounds it works well.

I also look forward to the complete set of suites.

Ron

Karen,

I listened to MVt. 2 and it is quite interesting, mysterious and at times rather grand. I do agree that the orchestra gets almost lost under the choral parts. I don't want to loose that undelying support totally.

Thanks for sharing it with us and I look forward to hearing the completed work.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Karen
    This has a great dark opening....And is anexcellent beginning to this movement. My only concern is that mostly I hear the chorals and the small orchestra sort of disappears.

The ideas in the music fit beautifully with the poem and the voices themselves blend together well. Even for a cheap set of choral sounds it works well.

I also look forward to the complete set of suites.

Ron
    Hi Ron, I listened again and you're right -- I need to adjust relative levels. Also, obviously I'm also still struggling a bit with some odd harmonies and chord progressions in places. One note at a time and sooner or later I'll get it right, like the monkeys that type out shakespeare given infinite time

As I was listening to mv1 I imagined I had died and gone(hopefully)to heaven.

It's spirituality time.

I hope this is what they play up there.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    As I was listening to mv1 I imagined I had died and gone(hopefully)to heaven.

It's spirituality time.

I hope this is what they play up there.

Phil
    Thanks Phil, but I hear its all harps and angelic choirs.... and the occasional organ toccata, when they really wanna boogie down... everyone knows the Devil plays the violin, right?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast