• Register
  • Help

Topic: Beethoven's 9th Slowed to 24 Hours

Thumbs up Beethoven's 9th Slowed to 24 Hours

i heard about this on Radio Lab/NPR a while ago and totally forgot about it. i don't know what reminded me of it, but something did. anyway, this is one of the coolest things i've ever heard - some guy digitally slowed down beethoven's 9th to 24 hours long (3 minutes regular time = 1 hour). here is the site http://www.expandedfield.net and i guess it plays 24/7 and there are tons of downloads of it. also, here's the link to the radio lab show on it, which is also really cool: The Episode's site, Listen online, and the .mp3

hope you enjoy, i know i did
    -Keith Fuller

iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: Beethoven's 9th Slowed to 24 Hours

A weird listening experience, I could say, sounds very "Ambient": there are extraordinarily modern chords nested into it! :-)

(Very useful for the orchestration student, too).
    Mac Pro Quad Core, 23" Apple Cinema, Logic Pro 8.x + VSL PRO Edition, some of the VI's, GPO, Ivory, Edirol UA-25 audio card, Event TR6 monitors, 1 girlfriend (Ines).

Maybe if I spend a whole day listening to this really really slowly, it will sink into my brain better and i will get it more.

Seriously, Coqui - yeah youre right this is more about interesting sounds than about Beethoven. I think... .
    But that beginning really is recognisably THE beginning slowed down. Hmm, interesting.

Seems to me you could do that in MIDI and render it with GPO! Just set the BPM insanely low and replace every sixteenth with a whole note and so on up the time scale. Maybe with something simple like the Minute Waltz stretch to half an hour?

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Go Back to forum