• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 4 Mvt. 3 - Scherzo for CMB Winds

Share/Bookmark

Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 4 Mvt. 3 - Scherzo for CMB Winds

The Tchaikovsky "Symphony No. 4" ranks as one of the most popular large scale works of this Russian master. The third movement, "Scherzo", Pizzicato Ostinato, is no exception with its ranks of plucked strings and choirs of staccato winds and brass choirs, including a piercing piccolo at the top.

Here I have set the work for wind orchestra using Finale 2006 and the Concert/Marching Band library. The instruments used are as follows;

Piccolo Solo 1 KS
    Flute Group Solo 1 KS
    Flute Group Solo 2 KS
    Oboe Solo 1
    Oboe Solo 2
    Eb Clarinet Solo 1
    Bb Clarinet Group Solo 1 KS
    Bb Clarinet Group Solo 2 KS
    Bb Clarinet Group Solo 3 KS
    Eb Alto Clarinet Solo 1
    Bass Clarinet Solo 1
    Bassoon Solo 1
    Alto Sax Group Solo 1 KS
    Alto Sax Group Solo 2 KS
    Tenor Sax Group 1
    Baritone Sax Group 1
    French Horn Group Solo 1 KSM
    French Horn Group Solo 2 KSM
    Trumpet Group Solo 1 KSM
    Trombone Group Solo 1 KSM
    Bass Trombone Solo KSM
    Timapani

www.garybricault.com/mp3/TchaikovskySym4ScherzoWinds.mp3

There have been a lot of comments about comparisons with the original string orchestra version. Soooooo. here is the Scherzo produced with GPO. It was my study when I wrote the transcription for wind orchestra and features the GPO pizzicato strings as well the beautiful wind and brass sections of GPO.

www.garybricault.com/mp3/Sym4ScherzoOrchestra.mp3

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 4 Mvt. 3 - Scherzo for CMB Winds

It sounds like you're enjoying working with the CMB and I enjoyed listening to it. Lots of hard work here I'm sure.

The instrument changes almost make it a new work for me. I have to imagine the strings, ect to place it.

Phil

I do kinda miss the cat gut, but even without strings this is a beautiful piece and you have done a fine job of arranging this into CMB and GPO.
    Well done
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    It sounds like you're enjoying working with the CMB and I enjoyed listening to it. Lots of hard work here I'm sure.

The instrument changes almost make it a new work for me. I have to imagine the strings, ect to place it.

Phil
    Phil,

Thanks for your comments. I agree, the difference in the sound I find the subtle coloring in the chordal structure I never heard before with the orchestra version. I should post the link that I have for the GPO version using strings.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    I do kinda miss the cat gut, but even without strings this is a beautiful piece and you have done a fine job of arranging this into CMB and GPO.
    Well done
    Ron
    Ron,

It is a different sound I agree. I know there are transcriptions of this work for wind orchestra, never heard the Scherzo movement however. The wind orchestras really do justice to these classics. The colors and sonority are wonderful to begin with. And I think that the CMB gives an honest representation.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Beautiful job, Gary!

Fascinating to hear this piece transmogrified (hey--wasn't that a "word of the week" in General Discussion?) into something purely for a wind orchestra.

I love it, and find it an excellent example of using CMB. A bit more reverberant than I would choose, but that's neither here nor there, because it wasn't up to me!

Thanks for a wonderful recording!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I'm curious if you try to substitute certain winds for certain strings throughout the whole piece and keep the original wind parts as true to Tchaik's writing as possible or do you ad lib and do whatever they heck you want?

Sounds great. I agree the reverb might be a bit high - some of the staccato is lost

Gary:

You did a magnificent job on this. I love the
    Tchaikovsky 4th and, although concert goers
    are used to the pizz. strings in this movement,
    your CMB rendition would please both informed
    and uninformed listeners.

A great project, Gary, and one in which you
    should be proud.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Wow! It's like hearing it for the first time. If the post hadn't named the piece I might not have even recognized it at first.

Very interesting!

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Beautiful job, Gary!

Fascinating to hear this piece transmogrified (hey--wasn't that a "word of the week" in General Discussion?) into something purely for a wind orchestra.

I love it, and find it an excellent example of using CMB. A bit more reverberant than I would choose, but that's neither here nor there, because it wasn't up to me!

Thanks for a wonderful recording!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Randy,

Thanks for your kind comments. At least it was not trans-mortified I have heard the last movement of this fine symphony set for wind orchestra. And I thought it would be a lot of fun to set the Pizzicato Ostinato for winds as well. And the CMB really did it proud. I am adding a link to the GPO version with strings that I had previous done as a study for this....coming soon!!

Gary

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast