• Register
  • Help

Topic: Brass section

Brass section

Hi guys,
    I'm starting to get into JABB but I need help with the following.

I'm trying to get together a realistic brass section, i've recorded separately (not quantized) trumpets 1, 2 and 3, trombones 1 and 2, alto's 1 and 2, tenor's 1 and 2, and a baritone sax, in all ten instruments. I have added a small amount of 'Vari' 1 and 2, and also a little Hall reverb. They all sound great on their own but not convincing enough for me. I have tried a few different mixes with these without much luck. I'm wondering if there is a better way of configuring them, i've been recording since the 70's so the mixing side of it is not the problem.
    Any ideas?

Re: Brass section

Hi Phil,

I just saw this post and also saw there have been no replies as yet. Have you tried posting in the tips/technical section in the regular Garritan Libraries forum?

I don't use JABB yet, only GPO so I am unable to offer any advice. However, there are a lot of experienced GPO and JABB users who have probably not seen your post. I'm sure if they had, they would have offered advice. Try reposting over at the other forum.

I hope you get results in what you're trying to achieve with the brass.

"Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall

From what you have mentioned so far, it sounds like you are on the right track in that you have recorded each instrument separately and not quantized the data. This way small variations are present and contribute to the realism and ensemble feel. Perhaps another thing to add might be to try entering some pitchbend data for some of the instruments? Maybe having some instruments float up into pitch at the very start of notes and finish some notes with some pitch variation could help to make it sound like an ensemble (and less like a 3x version of one instrument)? Also, maybe custom vibrato on each instrument, at least in strategic places, would also be useful?

If none of that is helping you to get to where you want to be, maybe you could post an example of how things sound now and that might help someone to propose other ideas?

Best regards,

Little Red King

Thanks for your help everyone, i'm getting into it now with a lot of editing ie. note bending, scooping to notes and also altering the vibrato for each instrument, all this takes a lot of time but worth it in the end, i'm a bit of a perfectionist and i'll go as far as I can to get that realistic sound, i've been recording since the 70's and there is a difference in recording 'real ' brass, but I think JABB is probably the best alternative.

I don't know what your production process is, but you might try rendering each instrument to audio and then applying some EQ to fatten things up, along with some reverb. The trumpets are pretty thin IMHO and need all the help they can get.

Also, and this might be heresy, have a look at www.wallanderinstruments.com. I find their brass to be much more lifelike, more "playable" and they fit great with the JABB saxes and rhythm section. Another tip is to layer the JABB lead trumpet with the Wallander lead trumpet for that extra sizzle on top.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

Go Back to forum