• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: The Woodpecker

Share/Bookmark

The Woodpecker

Inspired by watching "Woody Woodpecker" with my granddaughter.

Click here for the MP3

Comments and critiques always appreciated.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Re: The Woodpecker

Quote Originally Posted by fiziwig
    Inspired by watching "Woody Woodpecker" with my granddaughter.

Click here for the MP3

Comments and critiques always appreciated.

--gary shannon
    That's delightful, Gary! It is musically descriptive and well written. I like the subtle humor. Nice job!

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi Gary,

i am listening to this as we speak and it's a great way to start my day. It is so rhythmically playful, and though I don't remember well that cartoon, I do get the feeling of whimsy that I seem to remember from "Woody". the modulation around 1:30 I thought was very deft and the dramatic cadence at the end is sort of humorous in this context (and then the little bit of playful flute over it made me smile).

I-V-I-V-I-V-I-V I! V! I!

Lovely!

Wonderful, playful lttle piece. Maybe it can be part of a parger work--add a 'Bugs Bunny' and 'Fred Flintstone' and 'Yogi Bear' in there?

Quote Originally Posted by lesotho72
    Wonderful, playful lttle piece. Maybe it can be part of a parger work--add a 'Bugs Bunny' and 'Fred Flintstone' and 'Yogi Bear' in there?
    oh yeah, that would be great! i'd love to hear you do the roadrunner (beep! beep!) and the guy that was always chasing him and flattening himself on mesa walls (BAM! tweet tweet of birds and sprinkle of glockenspiel stars) or dropping off cliffs (aaaIIIIIeeeeeeeeeeeeee! [with doppler effect!)

Hi Gary,

I can't stop listening to this piece -- very lively and up-beat!

This is the kind of music I hope I will be able write one day. It's going in my files for further analysis as I learn more about composing and orchestration.

Thank you very much for such an inspiring piece of music to learn from.
    Best Regards,
    Ernie

Gary:

You continue to awe me with your meteoric progress on GPO. What a great orchestration, and such a fun piece!

For my taste, I would have preferred a little more articulation on the strings - especially on the main figure on the triplets followed by two eighth notes - I am hearing the first of those eighth notes more staccato. Just to put some bounce into the theme. Try halving the length and adding a rest afterwards of the same length. If you don't like it, thanks for trying and put it back as it was!

A very enjoyable listen - thanks so much for letting us be a part of your enthusiasm.

Owen

NIiiiice, Gary - Have I said recently what a great new addition to the Garritan crew you are? Well lemme say it again. You certainly are!

Such a smart, well informed arrangement of wonderfully light-classical styled material - I really really like it. I remember Woody Woodpecker very well from my childhood, and before listening to this thought it might be whackier and more frantic, but I can hear at least a gentle influence on what you've come up with. Deeeelightful.

Owen picked up on exactly the same thing I wanted to comment on. The triplets in the main strings line, it sounds like you didn't use the Short Bows, or didn't play with the Length control so that figure could be crisper. Experiment with that and you'll get the appropriate bounce.

You're a power house, Gary!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I am a big Woody Woodpecker fan. I watched those cartoons daily after school as a child in Los Angeles. The show then was hosted by the man who created Woody. There were two basic images of Woody. There was the origional fat leg Woody and the later the skinny leg Woody. My favorite was the skinny leg Woody. Hey-Hey, Hey-Hey-Hey, Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search

This is a link to YouTube Woody Woodpecker cartoons.

Oh Yes, I forgot. This is brilliant and I turly loved it.
    Last edited by Samantha Penigar; 10-12-2007 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Additions
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    That's delightful, Gary! It is musically descriptive and well written. I like the subtle humor. Nice job!

Regards,

Larry
    Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by KE Peace
    i am listening to this as we speak and it's a great way to start my day. It is so rhythmically playful, and though I don't remember well that cartoon, I do get the feeling of whimsy that I seem to remember from "Woody". the modulation around 1:30 I thought was very deft and the dramatic cadence at the end is sort of humorous in this context (and then the little bit of playful flute over it made me smile).
    Thank you. It was a lot of fun to write.

Quote Originally Posted by lesotho72
    Wonderful, playful lttle piece. Maybe it can be part of a larger work--add a 'Bugs Bunny' and 'Fred Flintstone' and 'Yogi Bear' in there?
    That's a neat idea. I'll have to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by lunker
    I can't stop listening to this piece -- very lively and up-beat!

This is the kind of music I hope I will be able write one day. It's going in my files for further analysis as I learn more about composing and orchestration.

Thank you very much for such an inspiring piece of music to learn from.
    Thanks for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent
    You continue to awe me with your meteoric progress on GPO. What a great orchestration, and such a fun piece!

For my taste, I would have preferred a little more articulation on the strings - especially on the main figure on the triplets followed by two eighth notes - I am hearing the first of those eighth notes more staccato. Just to put some bounce into the theme. Try halving the length and adding a rest afterwards of the same length. If you don't like it, thanks for trying and put it back as it was!

A very enjoyable listen - thanks so much for letting us be a part of your enthusiasm.

Owen
    Gosh! You're making me blush!
    I'll play around with the length of those notes and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    NIiiiice, Gary - Have I said recently what a great new addition to the Garritan crew you are? Well lemme say it again. You certainly are!

Such a smart, well informed arrangement of wonderfully light-classical styled material - I really really like it. I remember Woody Woodpecker very well from my childhood, and before listening to this thought it might be whackier and more frantic, but I can hear at least a gentle influence on what you've come up with. Deeeelightful.

Owen picked up on exactly the same thing I wanted to comment on. The triplets in the main strings line, it sounds like you didn't use the Short Bows, or didn't play with the Length control so that figure could be crisper. Experiment with that and you'll get the appropriate bounce.

You're a power house, Gary!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Thank you so much. I didn't use the KS strings so, no I didn't use short bows or length controller. In fact, I wasn't really aware of the existence of the length controller. I'll have to go back and do some experimenting with it. I agree, I wanted the figure to be crisper but that's about the best I could get just using the regular strings section. Guess it's time to explore the strings further.

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha Penigar
    I am a big Woody Woodpecker fan. I watched those cartoons daily after school as a child in Los Angeles. The show then was hosted by the man who created Woody. There were two basic images of Woody. There was the origional fat leg Woody and the later the skinny leg Woody. My favorite was the skinny leg Woody. Hey-Hey, Hey-Hey-Hey, Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey
    Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the Woody Woodpecker cartoon links. That should be fun.

--gary shannon
    --gary shannon
    Spooks! - The Movie

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast